Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Pot committed with KK?

Im not sure what to do on the flop here, I know the short stack could have a lot of hands but i feel like an Ax is a very likely holding and hes not gonna lay down anything that beats me if i push.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($722.20)
Button ($131.87)
SB ($213)
BB ($538.20)
UTG ($412.10)
MP ($278.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, Button calls $35, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($86) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero is first to act.... button has about 95 left.

Push? Bet half pot? Check? Im pretty stumped on the correct play.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Pot committed with KK?

Bloody short stacks ... they are a real pain.

You are behind any Ace/QQ/99. Shorties push with QQ and some of them push with 99. You are ahead of JJ/TT and plenty of other crap pairs that shorties play with.

Check/call is probably the best option. Check/fold isnt so bad either ... although I hate to do that against a shorty.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM

I think I push and hope to maybe get a weak A to fold. You could get AT/AJ to fold here, but they will likely just push if checked to. Other than that, you have to call anyway, so push seems best.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM

you think he would call 35 preflop with AT AJ and then fold when he flops his top pair and is short stacked, that is wishful thinking, no seriously, check-call is the line you need to take, only worse hands will fold if you push
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I push and hope to maybe get a weak A to fold. You could get AT/AJ to fold here, but they will likely just push if checked to. Other than that, you have to call anyway, so push seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? I don't think A2 is folding here.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:20 PM

shorties never fold an A here .... EVER. They might push with JJ and worse if you check though !
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM

i think in this situation u can definately rule out the shortstack having QQ and sometimes even 99 since they would've raised all in preflop. This means you're behind to hands like A9, Ax, AQ, and Q9 but chances are ss didn't call with Q9. At this point i would be putting him on some mid pocket pair or Ax. if you check, he is almost guaranteed to push all in, expecially since you're the chip leader, so i would raise about 2/3 of the pot, and call if they reraise all in. it really all depends on your read and if u think he has a weak ace. is he the type of person to play any ace? or calls a raise preflop with Ax suited? its a tough situation but you have to be careful to not overvalue your KK and play it too aggressively. i've seen too many people play super aggressive with KK when an Ace flops almost as if they are angry the ace hit and they wanna take the pot down no matter what.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:25 PM

I don't play at these stakes, but it seems like a short stack will just about always push the flop if they stick around for pre-flop action. I think if you push, he'll call with better; if you check/call, he MAY push with a weaker hand than you have.

I tend to agree with fuzzbox: given no other reads, I'd probably check/call to someone aggressive, or check/fold to someone passive. I lean more toward check-fold.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:25 PM

imo, short stacks push here with just about anything. Or "value bet"/bluff just about any 2 here. Kq-A2, 1010,99, you name it, its possible. I check-call an all in. And curse if i lost to some ace-junk.

My short stack play is not optimal, i need some work on it.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Am I the only one here who doesn't really like the PFRR to $35? Why 35? I think the mistake was made PF. This just seems like a good way to get pushed off KK PF.

I'm either minraising or calling here.

Aside from that, the obvious problem here is that he got called by someone other than the original raiser. This is probably where he shat himself, as would I.

I just don't love the re-bump PF to a factor of 3.5 after it had been bumped by a factor of 5.