Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Odd situation with a flopped set.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

This turned out great but I still did not know what to do on the flop. My thinking was that I could not force anyone out by betting out so I wanted to go for the check-raise and build a large pot but that fell through. Can anyone think of a better way to play the flop? And should I have put in a raise on the turn?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Odd situation with a flopped set.

Flop: Lead the flop. You'll get action from flush draws, and nobody else was probably calling anyway. Assuming you get action from a couple of players, you want to ram and jam this flop. You are probably ahead, but even if villain flipped over a flopped flush you can still pump for value when the pot is multiway.

Turn: Standard. Villain says he has a flush. I am showing this down, but I don't like my chances so much that I want to raise this street.

River: Standard, obviously.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 PM

I don't like going for a check raise here. You were the PFR, so if you don't bet, it's likely to get checked through, unless of course someon has you beat with the flush, in which case that sucks anyway.

Other than that, I like leading the turn and going into call-down mode after the raise, and hitting the boat makes things easy, doesn't it.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:29 PM

You need to lead the flop just because you cannot be assured of a bet here. Since 3 of the 4 aces are known not to be out there, it is unlikely a pair of aces will bet, so now you are hoping a high spade will bet.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:35 PM

Lead the flop. Otherwise, I play the rest the same.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:48 PM

If you're the PFR I don't like planning to c/r, you can't predict where (if at all) the flop bet comes from. Just lead the flop.

And, a c/r to build the pot, as you put it, often has the effect of slowing people down, as they put you on a monster. If you're hoping to build a large pot, you're best hope would be to lead the flop and hope to get raised.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Looks great to me. I may have bet the flop to avoid the possibility that I would miss a bet, but I really like the CR. I think it adds something to your overall game, too.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Why do you like the c/r here?

It did not accomplish what he intended to do.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:07 PM

everything but c/r'ing the flop looks good.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:07 PM

Flop: a good rule of thumb is not to attempt a check-raise unless you know where the bet is coming from. Since you were the only pre-flop raiser, who were you expecting to bet? (Plus, this board is frightening...if nobody has 2 spades or the king of spades, it could easily check through and you DEFINITELY don't want to give somebody a free shot at a 4th spade.) Pot is 10 SBs already, go ahead and bet out.

Turn: I like the call.

River: Perfect, you hit the mother-lode.