Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Default How long do you play for?

I've been playing micro limits for four or five months now, and have always had a problem staying at the table. I play at least six days a week, often multiple sessions per day. However, my sessions are usually very short.

One of two things happen when I play. If I start off in the first few rounds of blinds and am up a fair amount, usually 4-5BB I convince myself that the session was successful, and that I should end it on a positive note. On the other hand, if I go down 4-5BB quickly I start thinking that I'm not playing good, and I try to either get back to even or just leave.

Obviously this is a mental problem, and I'm convinced that I'm costing myself a lot of money in the long run by leaving so soon, especially when I'm up. So how long is a normal session for you guys? Would a good solution be to set a specific time frame for me to play in? Or could that become a negative? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: How long do you play for?

Long run, one long session, all runs together, one hand at a time.....yeah. One day's session doesn't mean much.

That said, I usually play for about 1 hr straight, 4 tabling. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, but not by much either way.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this is a mental problem, and I'm convinced that I'm costing myself a lot of money in the long run by leaving so soon, especially when I'm up. So how long is a normal session for you guys? Would a good solution be to set a specific time frame for me to play in? Or could that become a negative? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play for about an hour at a time (one table). You shouldn't care too much about how long you're at any particular table, because the games at the micros are so universally bad you should be able to beat all of them (table selection is overrated). If you are able to adjust to players, you stand to lose a little bit of extra EV because you don't get to use the information you gain by playing with a particular player for an extended period. But other than that, it doesn't matter so much what you do.

(Well... to get the whole story out there... if the other players adjust to you, but you don't adjust to them, they gain when you're at a table longer... but this situation is a bit rare at these stakes.)

It's said that poker is just "one long session." Play as long as you are able to play well. If you get distracted after an hour, then don't play for more than an hour at a time. If your schedule only permits 30 minute sessions, just play 30 minute sessions. Worrying about these things isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:02 AM

While on this summer vacation I play for about 3 hours at a time, 4 tabling. Normally while at home I play 3-4 3 hour sessions a week with 1-2 8 hour sessions. Yes, I 4-table for 8 hours at a time. No, I don't have much of a social life outside of poker, hockey, and music. No, you can't sleep on my couch.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 AM

Argh, I just ended a 5-hour session. But don't go by me, I'm one of those guys who could play Civ for days at a time.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Argh, I just ended a 5-hour session. But don't go by me, I'm one of those guys who could play Civ for days at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

or stay in friday nights because you have a 'clan match' on counter-strike
Old 08-15-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or stay in friday nights because you have a 'clan match' on counter-strike

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I'll have you know I've never played Counter-Strike. Besides, my clan plays World of Warcraft.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 AM

I've been 3-4 tabling recently for about 1-2 hrs. at a time. I'll drop down to 2-3 tables if I feel overwhelmed by the extra table or if I just don't like the 3rd/4th table I'm playing at.

While clearing the Party reload bonus, I'd play 2 or 3 sessions a day, depending on how much free time I had.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:01 AM

I typically 4 table 4 - 5 hour sessions. I play 4 - 5 times a week. I have very good concentration and focus so this isn't a problem for me, but any longer than that and I start to get distracted and disinterested. I find that music / singing (yes I sing when playing sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) helps me deal with bad beats pretty effectively, and I can stop and concentrate if I come across a tough decision. The play at these levels is so robotic that I can play well enough even with the music most of the time.

My advice is to set aside a certain period of time and just play come rain, hell or rivered gutshot. Quitting after you're up 5BBs is horrible imo. I don't see how you'd ever turn a profit.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 AM

"If I start off in the first few rounds of blinds and am up a fair amount, usually 4-5BB I convince myself that the session was successful, and that I should end it on a positive note. On the other hand, if I go down 4-5BB quickly I start thinking that I'm not playing good, and I try to either get back to even or just leave. "

This passage illustrates the conflict you likely have between your desire to not lose money and the actual way poker works.

There is no immediate connection between "being up or down" for a session and how well one is playing. And 4-5 BB is what, like one hand won or lost?

I am down 5 bb virtually every session I play -- then along comes that 20 bb pot...