Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:21 PM

Default High PP when Ace comes on the river

I have read a lot about standard lines of play and was interested to see if there was one for the situation where you have a high PP that stops being an over pair on ther river.

For example you are UTG with queens you raise and get called by a couple of people neither of the blinds. Flop comes all unders nothing really draw heavy. You bet, two or so callers. Turn is a harmless card. Your bet one person calls. The river is an Ace. What do you do? Assume slightly better then average players (they aren't overly aggressive or passive).

Sorry for not just using a hand history, I did not have one sitting around.

This has very little to do with the post but I had to tell someone and my roomates are sick of hearing me talk about poker: the upside of variance rocks. (+27 BB in an hour)
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: High PP when Ace comes on the river

I wouldn't worry about the Ace there. If he's decent then he's not playing Ace-Rag, and similarly won't call it down to the river. Go ahead and bet if it looks like he may have had top board pair up to that point.

Against 50% VPIPs I'm more inclined to check/call.

Edit: if he cold called your raise you may want to check/call as well, he could have AJs, AQs or maybe ATs. Depends on the board of course.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:04 AM

I fire again almost indiscriminately. Unless he's a complete dolt he's got a piece of the board, so I'd sooner put him on something like a frightened top pair or a confused second pair. He could be holding an ace kicker and those are the breaks, but he's not folding for a bet on the river so we've gotta bet one more time for value the vast majority of the time he doesn't have the ace.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 AM

Remember, he can have an A a decent percentage of the time and it will still be right to bet. If the player is pretty loose and will call down with A hi unimproved, he's calling down with any pair and usually any pocket pair as well, so his range of hands that you beat and will call is far greater than the range of hands that will call/raise and beat you, even if he'd play any A to the river every time. Betting will be very profitable.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 AM

Bet against typical players. There are times to check in these spots, but it is normally against good aggressive players who will bluff the ace and not call if you bet.

Brad
Old 08-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Does this become an easy fold if you bet and are raised? Assuming the player is not tricky enough to try pull this kind of a bluff? For discussion purposes lets say we are getting 8 to 1 on the call.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this become an easy fold if you bet and are raised? Assuming the player is not tricky enough to try pull this kind of a bluff? For discussion purposes lets say we are getting 8 to 1 on the call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say this is read-dependent.