Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Poorly played set

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Just so everyone does not think I am a complete moron I am going to try and justify the way I played this hand.
Preflop- pretty standard right?
Flop- I was not going to be able to push anyone off of a flush draw so I figgured I would wait until the turn to raise.
Turn- this I was counting on CO to raise again so when it got back to me I could 3-bet or cap it. But he checked so I look like a moron.
River- this was not that scary of a card. When it got around to me I was hoping both people behind me would call, but I only got one.

Looking back I think there probably should have been about 3 raises from me in there somewhere. I just wanted to know what better players thought.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Poorly played set

I can see calling the flop hoping button raises and go for overcalls. You are right flush draws aren't folding, but that does not mean you should not exploit yr HUGE pot equity edge to the fullest. the flop smooth call is as fancy as I get here -- when it's 2 back to you then you MUST 3 bet! From there i never stop hitting the bet/raise button until something tells me to stop.

You, my friend, appear to have a case of FPS -- fancy play syndrome.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 PM

Flop: My first instinct here is to 3-bet when it gets back around to me again here. (I do it sometimes if there are plenty more people to act.). Waiting for the turn to drop the hammer isn't terrible though. Still, because micro-limit games tend to be by their nature loose and passive, raising right away isn't bad at all. Fish will tend to call, no matter the bet generally.

Turn: Raise. Total value here, you want as much money as possible from your very strong hand. Punish players for drawing.

River: Raise. 4 players may be scary with a coordinated 5-6-7, but you have trips. Trips are very, very strong.

One more thing - you certainly aren't a moron for posting your hand. By looking for advice and trying to improve your game, you're doing more than the average player IMO. So you played your hand too passive - correct the leak and rake in the profits!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 PM

3 or 4 raises.

Do us a favor and don't wait till the turn to raise your monsters.

If you thought there was a flush draw out there you need to raise. Wouldn't you feel silly if a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came on the turn and gave them such a cheap card?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:25 PM

I dont like just calling the flop when there are connectors on board and I can face the field for 2 cold. I just hate giving odds to gutshots and making runner-runners cheap, but I can see your point of view. But, when CO raises, for the life of me I can't see the logic in not raise and reraising the flop, turn, and river at every opportunity.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Raise the flop.
Raise the turn.
Raise the river.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Try raising.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Just so everyone does not think I am a complete moron I am going to try and justify the way I played this hand.
Preflop- pretty standard right?
Flop- I was not going to be able to push anyone off of a flush draw so I figgured I would wait until the turn to raise.
Turn- this I was counting on CO to raise again so when it got back to me I could 3-bet or cap it. But he checked so I look like a moron.
River- this was not that scary of a card. When it got around to me I was hoping both people behind me would call, but I only got one.

Looking back I think there probably should have been about 3 raises from me in there somewhere. I just wanted to know what better players thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only mistake I seen was not three betting the flop when you had the chance after getting into the ideal situation. Once you have a chance to make it three bets after a bet/call when in the middle of the aggression, even if it's on the flop I think you have to take it. There is only a slim chance you can make that happen again unless you are confident the guy behind you is overly aggressive or has a strong overpair and is in no way timid.

If you feel you played it wrong then perhaps the guy in CO or on button did not fit this criteria to go for the turn trap reraise.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 PM

Lee Jones says that if your hand is vulnerable on the flop put as much more bets in the middle as you can FAST.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:55 PM

Turn up the heat.