Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 11:57 PM

Default JJ...this hand made me sick (whining post)

Is there such a thing as a bad win? This has to be the most passive play of flopped trips/top kicker ever:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

I've given up on raising JJ out of the BB, at least against EP limpers. They're going to call a raise with their overcards anyway, so might as well wait for the flop to make a move.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 7 BB, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero (7 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jc Js (full house, jacks full of tens).
UTG+2 has Ah Ts (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 7 BB. </font>

And yes, I would like some cheese with this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Re: JJ...this hand made me sick (whining post)

I think he was slowplaying but then the flush froze him up.

You gotta raise preflop though , it's too likely that you'll have an overpair and then you'd want those extra bets for sure.

The flop is pretty ugly, over card king .. I'd probably check and then check raise the flop hoping to represent some sort of slowplay with the tens. Also, try to get the flush draws to pay in case you do have the best hand. This would probably backfire though, since that AT guy would 3 bet me. Saved on the turn though.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:05 AM

I've given up on raising JJ out of the BB, at least against EP limpers. They're going to call a raise with their overcards anyway, so might as well wait for the flop to make a move.

This is a TERRIBLE mistake. Your opponent is a 2:1 dog to MISS the flop. Push your equity edge.

gm

EDIT: The above is unclear. I mean he only HITS the flop 1 time in 3.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've given up on raising JJ out of the BB, at least against EP limpers. They're going to call a raise with their overcards anyway, so might as well wait for the flop to make a move

[/ QUOTE ]

BAD idea. People on party will raise A8o pre-flop from UTG. You are raising because pocket Jacks have a positive expected value. Read SSHE.. if you have read it, read it again. Raise, and re-raise with pocket Jacks from ALL positions on loose tables.

TT
Old 12-27-2004, 01:14 AM

You shouldn't limp because they're going to call anyway. You should raise because you WANT them to call.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a TERRIBLE mistake. Your opponent is a 2:1 dog to MISS the flop. Push your equity edge.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true in a HU situation, but against multiple early limpers, I've found that raising PF only serves to grow the pot enough for them to correctly call a flop bet with those same overcards. By checking through with 4 limpers (for example), they are then getting only 6:1 pot odds to call a flop bet on a rags board, vs. almost 8:1 odds of catching their 6-outer. If I raise &amp; everyone calls, their pot odds jump to 11:1 on that flop bet. I'd rather use that same SB to represent top pair on the flop (especially if it comes out Hi low low) than throw it in preflop.

Maybe I'm just playing scared, but when I raise with JJ I'm doing it to protect my hand more than to push a positive equity edge. And I'm just not going to protect it by raising after everyone else has already called one bet.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:43 AM

Harv,

This is not really a point for debate. It is incorrect not to raise. One major flaw with your reasoning is that you don't consider the rare (but important) times when you flop a set. Ed has a good article in the forum magazine this month on the importance of long shot events with big payoffs.

gm
Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 AM

i'm with everyone else here, you have to raise preflop.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:59 AM

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe I'm just playing scared, but when I raise with JJ I'm doing it to protect my hand more than to push a positive equity edge. And I'm just not going to protect it by raising after everyone else has already called one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with gm. I think your logic above is flawed. You should be raising with JJ pre-flop to push a positive equity edge. You almost certainly are ahead pre-flop, especially given that no one has raised and you are in the BB. If they all do call, which is what you are afraid of, they are most likely making a mistake.

As to your concern about pushing the pot odds to 11:1 on the flop, you are assuming that someone will flop a gutshot. If they flop a flush draw or open-ended straight draw, you aren't going to get them out anyway. If the flop comes with an overcard, you can always check, especially if you have some aggressive players to act after you, and go for a check-raise to cut the odds.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 AM

The old school "raising JJ out of the small blind" thread with input from Ed, Clarkmeister, Dynasty