Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 AM

Default KK OOP, ace flops, what\'s my line?

I feel playing hands like this is a leak for me; I never have any idea where I stand. With the line I took here, I think that while there's a good chance villain had an ace, any smart player would look at my check, put me on exactly what I have, and blow me out with any two. In short, I hate my line. What's a better way to play hands like this?

Party NL $50, I'm 4-tabling, villain is 55/22/2.9. I've been playing TAG and won a big pot with a straight flush the hand before this.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($45.05)
CO ($19.95)
Button ($83.47)
Hero ($95.40)
BB ($76.95)
UTG ($27.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $9.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $8, Button folds.

Flop: ($22.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, MP calls $13.

Turn: ($48.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $68.50

No showdown. MP wins $68.50. </font>
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: KK OOP, ace flops, what\'s my line?

did the villian in the hand call you chicken, or a wuss, or type "L O L" (shudder)...did you think the villian in the hand had cruel and mischievous intent when he placed his $20 bet on the turn? Did he want to pierce your heart with a mountain of fury and anger, possibly penetrating your soul and leaving you scarred internally, until the day you rest in the pits of hell!!!

Or he could just have had an Ace in his hand...good fold.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:42 AM

There's not much more you can do in these situations. You reraised large preflop, and bet the flop w/ an A, and he still called. He obviously has something.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did the villian in the hand call you chicken, or a wuss, or type "L O L" (shudder)...did you think the villian in the hand had cruel and mischievous intent when he placed his $20 bet on the turn? Did he want to pierce your heart with a mountain of fury and anger, possibly penetrating your soul and leaving you scarred internally, until the day you rest in the pits of hell!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, no, he didn't. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm basically worried about the times villain might have QQ-JJ in this spot - do we think that if villain's dumb enough to call the roughly 1/2 pot flop bet (is that about right for this situation? My standard CBs are 1/2 to 2/3) with these hands, he's consequently not smart enough to bluff me off them on the turn?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or he could just have had an Ace in his hand...good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could give advice as good as this.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:16 AM

Fine as played. The only hand you were beating on the flop got there on the river. Paying him off the whole way would've been a much bigger leak. I check-fold a turn bet even if the flush doesn't get there, but it just made it that much easier.

What you have to keep in mind is that few players are aggressive enough to "blow you off with any two." Vast majority will suspect they are the ones being slow-played or whatnot, and will not bet without a made hand. It's important to identify those players aggressive enough to bet with air at the first sign of weakness, but they are in the minority. In that particualr hand, he raised first in MP and called a big re-raise after, so he has a real hand.

Kirk
Old 12-02-2005, 06:18 AM

I'd lead the flop for about $18, but otherwise, nh.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:27 AM

pretty standard...you aren't beating anything that might have called the flop bet after that turn.