Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Default A semibluff hand and some discussion afterward

.05/.10 NL Villain has often called my pot sized bets all the way to the river on a drawing board and then folded to a blocking bet on the river, but other than that has not done anything to really grab my attention. She seems to be in a lot of pots.

I'm on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG raises to .40, Villain and 2 others call, I call enjoying the multi-way pot with this hand and both blinds call. 6 to the flop, pot of $2.40

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Preflop raiser checks. Villain bets $1.70. All folds to me and I call rest fold.

Turn pot $5.70.

T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets $4.50 and has $16 left and I cover. I go all-in.

My read of the situation is that villain doesn't need a set to bet that much here and my tens even have a chance of being the best hand if she was bluffing or had a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or a hand like 99, but I'd guess she probably has me beat. If she does have me beat I have 9 outs against a set, and 11-14 outs against JJ-AA and I might get hands that arent a set to fold.

Anyway, I have to give the results of this hand, because I really wanted to talk about the discussion afterwards. She called with Kings giving me 14 outs and I hit a spade on the river to bust her. She didn't say a word and left the table, but for some reason some guy started calling me a donkey and telling me what a terrible play I made and that she was obviously committed to calling (somehow) and she had to call me no matter what she had(I guess it was her friend..i dunno) Anyway, my question is first about my play you can critique all the streets and then I ask if YOU would've called me in that spot with just kings (ignoring how terribly she played them preflop)
Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: A semibluff hand and some discussion afterward

i like the line you took.

and if i was her, i'd definitely put my money in there if i felt i had the best of it.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 PM

Well, I was really asking is...if you were playing the kings, could you really put me on anything other than a set? Even if you add a big draw to my range..are you ahead enough to justify calling off your stack?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 PM

i like raising the flop. it doesn't look like you have much chance of pushing UTG off of her hand by pushing. hindsight is 20/20 and your opponenent had the overpair, but by the way she played the hand, it didn't look like UTG was bluffing out of position with AK, AQ, or AJ. this would have to be read-dependent to move all in, but it didn't look like a good spot to push on the turn. I would have raised the flop and folded if re-raised, hoping to get a free river card.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:10 PM

Just so everyone's clear...UTG was the initial raiser and is not the villain in this hand...Villain is UTG+1 and the first to call the UTG raise.