Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Target date: $15,000 BR

me and 2 of my buddies decided, since we're moving out and playing poker full time anyway, we might as well move to thailand for a little while to cut down on living expenses and play poker online to get by. Now i've been up and down the budget here and I figure we can rent a 3 bdrm executive estate for 80 000 baht (private pool, daily massages, basically live like gods, or at the very least sultans) for $1000 US each per month.(3k total)

BUT

here's the kicker...does anybody foresee any problems with this idea...any problems at all...say we're there for 6 months to a year and each of us is 20 years of age old and a little bit dumb....i just need to clear the field of any work visa's or any staying in a foreign land for a prolonged period of time "fine print" or what have you.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Target date: $15,000 BR

Lay of the hash and when you're in line at the airport and ask you "if anyone other than you packed your bags, etc." you better be 100% of your answer. Thailand Prison= -EV
Old 07-01-2005, 11:03 PM

Wear a rubber.

There's a reason why the lovin' is cheap.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:59 PM

Been to Thailand many times... your plan depends on a lot of things.

For an extended stay (3+ months) you need to apply for a visa. Anything less and you can fly right in. Extended Visa is not hard to get for Thailand. You need to check the Thai Embassy website and it should give the details. Just say you want to backpack through the country or take an extended vacation. They don't care, tourism is Thailand's lifeblood.

Where do you plan to stay? Bangkok? You'll quickly become bored there. The nearest beach is Pattaya which is a nasty dirty hell-hole. I guess you could fly in and out of Koh Samui or Phuket or Koh Pha Ngan (if you wanna get ripped on drugs) but the flights will add up plus associated hotel costs. Even if it is in thai baht.

You also need to find out where the Thai government stands on online gambling. They have fairly strict regulations in place about the internet and all Thai ISP's may have all online gambling sites blocked.

If you can gamble, how do you plan to get your cash to thailand from your poker account? You need to work that out also.

If you do go and inevitably end up in Soi Cowboy or Soi Sea Dragon after one too many VodkaRedBulls make sure you always strap one on and make sure she's not a katooey.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:19 AM

I don't get how your title and content are related.. I see a lot of problems with this plan. First of all, you say you want to move there cut to down on costs. But you're expecting to pay $1,000 each in rent.. Uhh, that's like NYC rent. Why exactly did you guys decide on Thailand? Why not Australia or Costa Rica? They're equally as nice and the cost of living is cheaper.
Also, friends may not always be friends. Wherever you guys decide to move, have all of your names on the lease just in case someone wants to bail out, and make sure each of you has 3-6 months in advance for your own financial security.
If you're looking to move anywhere for over a year, there's a way to get all your tax money back. There have a been a couple of threads on all this stuff, so you might wanna do a search. GL
Old 07-02-2005, 12:34 AM

Thailand dude? Seriously? IMO this is a place that falls under "visit but wouldn't want to live there"
Old 07-02-2005, 12:49 AM

did you consider Prague? it's just as cheap but has one of the wildest nightlives in the world and just seems like it would be a better place to live.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:51 AM

I've been to Thailand. I wouldn't want to live there. It's not even on the list of countries that I'd want to spend time in playing poker. For $3K a month you could get a nice place near the beach in southern California and play live at the Bike and Commerce.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:04 AM

Move to Cali or Miami.

Get a HUGE townhome, or HOUSE, or LOFT, of APARTMENT.

Live the high life.

I have no idea why you would even think about doing this.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:45 AM

Where do you live now that $3000 a month would be a drop in expenses? Why not buy a house somewhere, so that instead of throwing $3000 away every month, you're actually making money. Is Thailand even nice? Why not move somewhere where housing is cheap?