Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Awful play, when should i have folded ?

If you are going to 3-bet, don't fold to a cap. The pot is already sizeable so pay an extra small bet to see that next card. Fold to the big bet on the turn if you are going to fold. You are getting much worse odds on this call than the call of the cap after you have 3-bet.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:15 PM

he could easily be capping with the A of club or also a pair of queens or smaller pair with a decent club.

You need to bet the turn so he won't get a free card. If you get raised, then that tells you he's not on a draw and you're probably beat with no outs to the flush.

I have no problems with the preflop limp, though in early position this might even be a fold possibility.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:11 PM

Though I personally prefer raising pre-flop with KQo, there are times when it is a bad idea. Generally, in 2/4 games I'm not terribly worried about it, as I will dominate much more often than I am dominated. You're also trying to narrow the field with unsuited cards. However, those trying to minimize risk may limp with it, and I'm not critical of that approach, either. Therefore, I counsel you to consider raising, but do what most suits your style of play, and most of all think about it.

As for post-flop, when faced with a hostile board but a probably winning hand, my thoughts turn to two problems. First, I want to protect my interests by charging people to draw to one-card flushes. Second, I want to avoid being outplayed, so I want to get to a showdown cheaply. Therefore, I'm inclined to bet, but simply call it all the way down in the face of aggression from an opponent.

Once you've three-bet, you're committed to a course of action which is untenable in either direction. Either you're paying $10 to draw all-but-dead, or you are considering folding a hand where you're way ahead.

Avoid this problem in the future by going limp after one bet. If you had, say, the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] you could then three bet as you are more likely to be drawing live.