Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Standard

Blinds 100/200, u have T3o in the BB. One semi-fishy weak player limps in from MP, probably Ax, a suited connector, high cards, low pair, whataever. Its HU to the flop which is JJT. You have 2400, opponent has you well covered.

Who bets out? Who check raises? Who check calls and leads the turn? Who check folds?

-Jason
Old 10-20-2004, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Standard

Most of the time the way I like to play this is to just bet the flop and if I'm called or raised you really don't have many more decisions to make IMO. If you check and he bets I think it makes the hand a good deal harder to play.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:19 AM

Jason,

I don't know if it's the right play, but I probably bet out here. The problem with LAG players with big stacks is that they tend to over-value their hands, so he might call (or raise) with PP 9-9 down to 2-2. Same goes for any 2 over-cards.

I don't like the check-raise, because he very likely going to push when checked to... you won't have the opportunity to raise. Check-folding the flop is pretty weak.

Yep, I bet out T-400 in hopes of taking it down right there. I'll play it by ear after that.

--Casey
Old 10-20-2004, 09:44 AM

Usually I bet the pair (pot sized), check the trips. If he didn't hit, I'm happy to take down the pot before an overcard comes. If I have the trips, I am less concerned about the free card unless both a flush and str8 draw are out there. Here, he could have KQ, but I still bet...
Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 AM

I check-raise. Betting out makes the decisions very difficult, especially with said stack. If he calls, your turn play is difficult. If he raises, do you fold when you should have <9 BB's, especially since he could hold a wide range of hands?

Check-raising makes your decisions easier:
1. If you check-raise, may get him off a hand like QT...makes your hand look stronger.
2. If you check-raise, you'll probably check-raise all-in thereby making your turn and river decisions easy.
3. If it goes check-check and you lead out at the turn, greater chance of winning there (makes the turn decision easier to make as well).
4. You can win some chips by inducing a bluff...you have enough chips where a check-raise should get him off any odds, with the exception of KQ. Also, he may bet here with a pp <= 99
5. If he calls with a T, still a good chance of a chop (unless he has AT, obviously).
6. If he holds the J, oh well. You don't have that great of a stack anyway, and need to accumulate chips. No need to fear the improbable.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:56 AM

I don't think the villain would push given pot size. And if the villain pushed, no need to fear the J the majority of time.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the villain would push given pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. All the time, I see LAG players push all in pre-flop with A-Q when blinds are 10/15 and 4 or 5 limpers.

[ QUOTE ]
And if the villain pushed, no need to fear the J the majority of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't fear the J. I'm afraid that BoBo could've chosen to limp the following hands:
AJ, AT, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT, J9, J8, T9, T8, T7, T6, T5, T4, AA, KK, QQ

I completely disagree with the check-raise. If you feel comfortable enough with your hand against the range of hands that BoBo might hold, then push on the flop. I don't know BoBo, but if I were actually playing him, and I knew he could only limp from that position with A-9 or lower, then I might play differently.

A stupid hand to lose all your chips with.

--Casey
Old 10-20-2004, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
disagree. All the time, I see LAG players push all in pre-flop with A-Q when blinds are 10/15 and 4 or 5 limpers

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I would say that's the exception and not the rule, not to mention the two situations are not completely analagous. Second, the description of villain is "semi-fishy, weak". It think it's atypical to see a player push 2400 in a 500 pot. And if the player does that, I'd highly doubt he has a J. With a weak player, you should be able to push a player off of Tx where X<8, maybe 9 or higher.

My main arguments for check-raising is, it makes your hand appear stronger, may get the other player off a Tx hand. Even with a call, decent chance of split pot. But it's better betting the chips instead of calling. Also, you only have 12x BB at the time of the pot. Betting at the pot makes your decisions more difficult if you get called or raised. With this hand at this time heads up, I don't mind putting all my chips in; why not induce a bluff, or make a worse hand bet where he may fold if you bet out?

[ QUOTE ]
If you feel comfortable enough with your hand against the range of hands that BoBo might hold, then push on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly. I would generally would not bet 2200 into a 500 pot, unless I have a strong hand and have recently been caught bluffing. A lot.

[ QUOTE ]
A stupid hand to lose all your chips with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very dependant on how many chips you have. I don't think it's silly in this situation.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
3. If it goes check-check and you lead out at the turn, greater chance of winning there (makes the turn decision easier to make as well).

[/ QUOTE ]

As you kinda point out, you can only check with the intention of raising ( As Sklansky points out). The problem with this is the free (over) card. If he had missed (or wanted to trap), he could readily check behind you. The turn could take away the opportunity that you had to buy the pot on the flop with the same bet. If he missed the turn, yes you still may buy it, but you gave him a chance to hit for free, and win or pick up a draw worth seeing the river for.

I Don't think the pair is worth the check raise attempt, but if you had a Jack, absolutely.

I do agree that a flat call of a flop bet would make the turn uncomfortable to play however.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:12 PM

Your stack size limits your ability to properly play this hand. Call me weak tight, but I'm check folding there most of the time. If a low card comes on the turn, I may bet out something like t400 and fold to any raise. If I'm called on the turn, i'm done with the hand.