Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Showing cards. What\'s your opinion?

Here's something that has an interesting effect, from time to time. You win a good sized pot before a showdown, say when a player thinks, thinks, thinks, then folds to a big bet you made. He asks something like, "Did you have it?" Or maybe, "I assume you had the flush."

My response: "Good laydown."

This gets them every time -- you can see the aggravation in the chat box, one way or another. "BS" he responds, or maybe "Then why didn't you show?" Or possibly, "You're lying." I never respond further.

Regardless of what he thinks, the ultimate effect is distraction by the previous hand, wondering if he did make a good laydown, got bluffed, whether I was lying, etc.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:12 PM

I agree with speakeasy. I often say "good fold."

I NEVER show my cards on a bluff. The only reason why you would do so is to induce a call later on. SNGs are too short for that sort of tactic. I think a tight table image goes a lot further. You will be in a rut 50% of the time you play, and you need all the folding equity you can get.

I am intrigued my AleoMagus comments. Do you really think that commenting in the chatbox, "I'm a tight player" really works?

Funny thing is that I read someone's comments the other day, in which the guy actually folded his (claimed) AK to some guys AJ reraise. His subsequent comments were I am a tight player. I then marked it in my notes. So maybe it does work.

Does anyone have anymore stories like this? I am always interested in ways to create a strong tight player table image. Perhaps this is a thread in itself.

Scuba
Old 01-04-2005, 02:16 PM

I had AK the other day, and a K landed on the turn, and then a J on the river.

I bet out and the one caller left in called, then mucked his cards. He then said in the chatbox, 'JJ'.

I laughed. If he had JJ, he had his set and would have taken the pot. I said, 'No you didn't.' He thought a bit and then said, 'Okay, 10J.' I said, 'Whatever'.

I don't believe anything anyone says.

KO
Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that commenting in the chatbox, "I'm a tight player" really works?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I doubt I'd ever just say it outright like "I am a tight player", but yeah, I think that comments to that effect do work.

The only thing to be careful about is that some players will also see this as an invitation to steal from you later in the game.

Regards
Brad S
Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 PM

I usually reply that "that information requires a call" or something like that. Sometimes this stirs anger, but usually the other player accepts it.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:25 PM

King, I believe your story 100%, and I concur 100% when it comes to folding hands. I don't believe what others say. In fact, I generally lie about a hand I folded - but let's be frank, idiots only lie about a monster hand fold.

But my point is, if you play only a few hands PF, and you write in the chatbox "I'm a tight player", will that go far?

How could someone write "I'm a tight player" and subsequently play 30+% of his PF hands? And then be believed?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always show if I'm BB and it's been folded to me (I haven't taken any action so I figure it's harmless to show random cards).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fan of this play, especially when it gets to level 5 or higher of a SNG. Once it gets to the point where blinds and/or antes are a significant amount, showing the table that they just gave away 225 or more chips to you when you had 6-2 means that you're far more likely to get action when you raise out of the blinds with a legit hand.

I think at the lower levels, the players have the mentality that they want to take those "free chips" back from you.

Once again, this play works best when you have A-A or K-K the next time you're in the BB, so be sure to follow that step. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My response: "Good laydown."

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!! Short, succinct, and bound to annoy anyone to the point of tilt!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once it gets to the point where blinds and/or antes are a significant amount, showing the table that they just gave away 225 or more chips to you when you had 6-2 means that you're far more likely to get action when you raise out of the blinds with a legit hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I still missing something here?

Why will players respect your raise more from the blinds in the future just because you showed a poor hand when everyone folded to you in the BB?

You have used absolutely NO skill whatsover to earn the chips when everyone folds to you... so why on earth will anyone think that if you raise in the future that you must have a good hand?

I really can't get my head round this logic. Please help me out!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a fan of this play, especially when it gets to level 5 or higher of a SNG. Once it gets to the point where blinds and/or antes are a significant amount, showing the table that they just gave away 225 or more chips to you when you had 6-2 means that you're far more likely to get action when you raise out of the blinds with a legit hand.

I think at the lower levels, the players have the mentality that they want to take those "free chips" back from you.

Once again, this play works best when you have A-A or K-K the next time you're in the BB, so be sure to follow that step.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but how often do you have AA or KK in the BB? Almost always, you are hoping that everybody folds to you.

To me, showing a pair of poor cards in the BB when everybody folds to you conveys this message: "I would have folded to any raise." This is a terrible message to send to the table.