Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Showing cards. What\'s your opinion?

Thought I'd start a thread on this, as was just reading this previous post.

What's everyone's view on showing hands? I always work on the assumption that people should pay to see my cards. Even more so when blind stealing. The success of blind stealing comes with picking the right moment. And if you get called when stealing then if you show a strong hand this is worth much more than showing your hand after successfully stealing.

I've only just started to introduce aggressive blind stealing into my game so would welcome feedback on this.

From my limited experience I notice that many more players show their cards after bluffing a blind steal than bluffing at the river. Is there any logic to this?

Cheers,
mart
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Showing cards. What\'s your opinion?

I occasionally will show strong hands when everyone folds to them. I never show weak hands that were a successful bluff.

In tournament play, your image is really important, and you want all the other players afraid of what you might be holding. Fold equity is just so important that any extra action with weak hands that might pay me off, I can do without. I just want their folds.

I would say that never showing is a good option as well, becasue showing strong hands might not accomplish that much. In my opinion, Showing weak hands in a tournament is always a mistake.

I also think that showing hands after the flop is also a bad idea. I'll show strong hands preflop because my usual opener is pretty much alwasy 3xBB anyways, and the only info I'm giving away is "I raise 3xBB with hands that you should be scared of". Showing after the flop lets observant players see how you played the whole hand and you never know what they might pick up.

On a similar note to the whole chatbox thing, I sometimes find that you can accomplish the same image with a little "I'm a tight player" chat.

Regards
Brad S
Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 AM

I always show if I'm BB and it's been folded to me (I haven't taken any action so I figure it's harmless to show random cards).

If I've been on a good run (say won 3 or 4 hands in a row), I may show a strong hand -- depends on the table.

Finally, if it gets down to heads up, and opp is showing me everything, I may show an occasional hand because I think it encourages opp to keep feeding me information.

Otherwise -- I'd might show 4 of a kind or a straight flush just because they're so rare. However, sometimes I don't, because I think it gives a read on how I bet strong hands. But that's it, I don't like giving out information for free.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always show if I'm BB and it's been folded to me (I haven't taken any action so I figure it's harmless to show random cards).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what does this achieve though? Whenever someone does this in a game I'm in I just think "Wow, aren't you clever... you've got two cards!". it's not as if anything you did influenced or will influence my play from that show.
Or am I missing something???
Old 01-04-2005, 12:36 PM

You're exactly right. That's why I feel I can show those cards. It gives away nothing about my playing style. A good player will ignore it. A bad player may look at the junk I had and decide to make a wrong bet on a later hand.

In any event, my feel is that showing cards when no one can get a read on me is at worst harmless.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:38 PM

Default I think it\'s a big mistake...

it gives info to opponents about your play. The less they know, the better.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In tournament play, your image is really important, and you want all the other players afraid of what you might be holding. Fold equity is just so important that any extra action with weak hands that might pay me off, I can do without. I just want their folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this out the other day in my first SnG at Stars. In the first 40 hands I only entered the pot 5 times, 3 with Aces and twice with Jacks (stole the blinds with the Aces and showed and busted 2 people with the Jacks). It made it so much easier to steal the blinds later on (when they counted for so much more) and win the whole thing.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 PM

How about a related question.

A third spade falls on the river, you bet big. Everyone else folds (It's an example, so assume whatever other facts you want to.)

Another player asks you -- "Did you have it?" or "Did you have the Ace?" or whatever. What do you do.

Usually (not always) I'll give an answer, which is invariably 'yes' (whether I had it or not). I figure that if someone wants to modify their play based on unverifiable information, it's all good. Plus, I figure that I get a 'free ask' of the same player later in the game if I want it.

Though I can't bank on it (they may be lying to me), my guess is that someone who is asking this information is more likely to be honest when they're asked.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM

I show cards that puts me at an advantage, and don't show cards that put me at a disadvantage.

If I bluffed out with third pair, I don't show it. If I had three Aces when the last guy folds, I show it.

If I have what I'm representing with my bets, I don't mind showing it.

Of course... that doesn't happen very much... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

KO
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about a related question.

A third spade falls on the river, you bet big. Everyone else folds (It's an example, so assume whatever other facts you want to.)

Another player asks you -- "Did you have it?" or "Did you have the Ace?" or whatever. What do you do.

Usually (not always) I'll give an answer, which is invariably 'yes' (whether I had it or not). I figure that if someone wants to modify their play based on unverifiable information, it's all good. Plus, I figure that I get a 'free ask' of the same player later in the game if I want it.

Though I can't bank on it (they may be lying to me), my guess is that someone who is asking this information is more likely to be honest when they're asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting one.

I hardly ever (read that as NEVER) believe anything I read in the chat. After all, why should you believe another poker player unless you actually see their cards!?

It's normally the case that if someone asks 'What did you have?' or 'I take it you had the A?' then they are normally asking cuz they're so pissed they lost the pot that they really, really, really want assurance that they made the right play. So i don't give them what they want - either by saying the truth or lying. I find it better to annoy them even more just in case it pushes them on tilt...by saying something like.. 'i think I had it but i can't remember', or 'i may have done', or 'Give me some more chips and I may tell you'.

This may not be the 'friendliest' chat but it has worked on occasion to get that call that you really want when you have a monster!

This is the only time I will try to wind players up with chat though! Only because they initiated it!