Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 10:43 AM

Default 2 questions

I've just learned and been playing Low-limit hold'em for two months now, have read half of TOP and all of SSHE by Ed miller). In a month's time I went from $50 to $550 to $0 on PP ($1/2 beginners area..I now know I shouldn't have played that lvl with my BR). Got a bad run of cards at end..but obviously being a noob had to be the overriding factor. I was thinking of sticking with the Poker Academy software and books for the next few months till I get better so I can have a better chance of winning. Does this sound like a bad strategy? Also, I like reading hand examples and wish to post some for question in the near future. I think it would be nice if there was a forum just for hand examples but that is just my oppinion. Is there a good site or book that is loaded with hand examples? I might post a few questions here, but when/if I get good at poker..I promise to post a lot of answers to help out. So that is my two questions, I'm open to any suggestions also...thanks in advance for any answers/suggestions.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: 2 questions

Depends if you want to play limit or no-limit. For tourneys, HOH is just loaded with hands. The forums here are about as good as any internet resource will be. Just post any hand you want. As you improve, the hands you post will become more and more interesting, because you will see what makes a hand appropriate for discussion.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to stick with limit hold'em for now. I figure it is best to stick to learning just one game type at first, I will probably try nl down the road when I have a better handle on limit.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a month's time I went from $50 to $550 to $0 on PP ($1/2 beginners area..I now know I shouldn't have played that lvl with my BR).

[/ QUOTE ]
If that were your whole bankroll, it would mean that you would now quit poker (or would only play freerolls). If you have more money you might put into poker, your actual bankroll is probably much larger. However, you should not worry about bankroll requirements until you are a winning player.

I think the beginners' area was a reasonable place to start, but the games are much softer there than at similar limits outside the beginners' area. I don't recommend playing more on Party outside the beginners' area yet.

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of sticking with the Poker Academy software and books for the next few months till I get better so I can have a better chance of winning. Does this sound like a bad strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like it is part of a good strategy. I recommend moving to another site such as UltimateBet or PokerStars where there are penny-ante tables. Practice on those games (in addition to reading and using poker software), learn to win, and work your way up. It's good to see the plays actual human opponents make, and you'll feel more satisfaction when you win. If you lose, it won't be much money.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I like reading hand examples and wish to post some for question in the near future. I think it would be nice if there was a forum just for hand examples but that is just my oppinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are welcome to post hands here or in the microlimits forum. You can find a lot of hands with commentary posted in the microlimits forum, which is designed for online games of $1-$2 and lower.