Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Best sausages and etc.

At the moment I am gnawing on a fantastic homemade sausage and slurping on an Anchor Steam Beer. The sausage is a venison and pork blend with spices and jalapeno peppers added. Delicious. Got them from a good old boy Texan that I am working on a project with. He is quite the character from College Station Texas. Anyway, as I am enjoying this feast of meat and spice I think a rundown on best sausages, whatever the type, kind of condiments to use, and appropriate wash down fluids would be informative and welcome to the dizzying dapper dudes that pulsate and throb on this forum.

Any favorites? Any specialty Ma and Pa places that hand make sausages (or bratwursts etc) - favorite types and so on.

-Zeno
Old 11-08-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Best sausages and etc.

Sausage gives me a tummyache. I don't know why. It's unfortunate that it's so delicious; I wouldn't be so depressed all the time...
Old 11-08-2004, 12:27 AM

bratwurst from the west side market in cleveland is great. if you talk to some people you can even get your own personal butcher. then you really get hooked up.

also, i like the white bratwurst in wisconsin area from when i was a kid.

i like brats.
i even like sausage.
there are just some things
i cant eat every day,
ride on lonesome cowboy.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:48 AM

I used to live right across the street from a Fresh Fields (called Whole Foods elsewhere)in Falls Church, VA. They had this kickass wild boar sausage--it was incredible, really.

One day I had the bright idea of getting them started in the pan with a little water, then basting them with Guiness.

I'm not sure how I came up with this, or why it worked so well, but there was some sort of carmelization process that occurred, and they blackened but didn't burn, and they tasted even better than before.

Try it.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:56 AM

I don't like Anchor Steam Beer. It doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like spoiled ginger beer.

Sausages are a horrible food. Stuff is ground up and shoved into a casing. Neither the stuff nor the casing is edible. The only sausage type food I can tolerate is Hebrew National hot dogs, made under the supervision, they say, of a Higher Authority.

But I still love you.

Regards,
Andy
Old 11-08-2004, 01:15 AM

There's a little town called Boston, in the parish of Portland , that's the home of the cooking style known as 'Jerk'. Jerked sausages, from the outdoor roasting pits in Boston, with roasted breadfruit, and a Red Stripe to wash it down. There's nothing better.

But you'd better be able to tolerate spicy.

--
Peter
Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 AM

what brand sam's carries, the spiciest stuff they got. Good stuff.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:23 AM

Ah man, I really want some sausage now. Anyone know of anywhere good in Atlanta? And they better be spicy, Mom didn't raise me on cajun food for nothing.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:43 AM

Somehow, I think that having sausages made under the supervision of a 'Higher Authority' would detract from their taste as much as it would add to their holy aura.

As an added aside, I have inside information that 'Higher Authorities' enjoy Anchor Steam Beer; in fact, St. Peter has an ice chest full of Anchor Steam at the pearly gates and gives out one per saved soul that strolls into the gold-paved streets of the eternal city. Or I think it says so in the Book of Revelations. But I could have got all this confused with something else I read long ago, when the world was fresh and much easier on the eyes and heart.

[ QUOTE ]
But I still love you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

As always,

Zeno
Old 11-08-2004, 02:21 AM

gives you high cholesterol and a fat as-. the steam beer is as andy says. move to montana and learn to eat and drink properly.

if they are patties thats okay --tubes are out. venison is great, elk better, and antelope make the best.

eat, drink, and get mary