Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: books on human condition

A reading of "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis would be worthwhile. This is a concise book made from a compilation of three or so booklets he wrote in an ongoing debate with post-enlightenment/early relativist thinkers in the Western World.

For a non-Christian, this thin and inexpensive book will be one of the best (meaning concise and highly "readable") summaries of what I'll call the "Christian Worldview" -- which certainly includes a discussion of the "human condition" and/or "state of man."

IMHO, people in the Western World who like to think about sociology and the nature of man should read this book to understand the Christian Worldview at its most basic level.

For example, I would venture to say a reading of this would be helpful before anyone dives into something like Max Weber's "The Protestant Ethic and Spirit of Capitalism."

This will almost assuredly not overlap any works you read coming from Psychologists or University research departments. These books will likely start with a materialist worldview and will almost univerally assume a rejection of dualism as a starting point.

I doubt that my suggestion was in the ballpark of what you were looking for, but it'll be worth the $3.99 and couple of days to become exposed to the basic Christian worldview at its core without all the distraction of many of the modern caricatures who are well-known.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

im looking for work that focuses on our lust for power and the way we manipluate the world around us and judge everything from our human perspective. im already fairly well versed in buddhist beleifs and would perfer something western - probally the right book by jung or something, im boring nietzsche.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your looking for something dark that disects human perspective on human importance, you might want to try Straw Dogs by John Gray. It is a bit dry though, I must admit.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:53 PM

I really like "How the Mind Works" by Steven Pinker.
It explains some very mysterious behaviors, like love and war. The framework of evolutionary psychology works as an approach to many other puzzles. Unlike other authors, Pinker doesn't claim that it explains more than it actually does.

Sabre170
Old 08-09-2005, 08:04 PM

I know of a book... a very old book, 1000 years old. But it's so great it's still modern. I don't know the excact translation to english, but i think it should be something like "the art of war" , it's wroten by Sun Zi, an old chinese warrior, and tactic... I don't know really what you were looking for, but read it out!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:09 PM

Sorry, forgott some things, first the books name IS "the art of war( looked it up)... The book is about winning in a war, but it is really a book by winning conflicts, or more precisly... get what you want's to get to minimumprice, it says that the winner of the war, not neccesary needs to be the winner when it all comes around// Rio bravo
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im already fairly well versed in buddhist beleifs

[/ QUOTE ]

You just contradicted your entire post by writing this one line. Maybe your versed, but you sure as hell don't preach it. Pathetic.

Lawrence
Old 08-11-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am trying to figure out what will make me more happy/content in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "what" is you.

"A man is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be." Abraham Lincoln

Try "Walden Pond" by Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-12-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im looking for some profound psychology writings that analyze the human condition and mind and all of that, as i am trying to figure out what will make me more happy/content in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Bible or the Koran? These books have been telling human truths for longer than most others to more than any others. There must be something in them?

'This world does not possess the power to make a man truly happy'. Pope John Paul II.

Bingo
Old 08-13-2005, 12:02 AM

Master of the Senate by Robert Caro.

Possibly the best political biography of the last 20 years.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:40 AM

hmmm...this is somewhat along the self actualization path, but I hate Dr phil bullshit too and this book is amazing and written but one of the most scientifically respected psychologists ever.

Abraham Maslow..toward a psychology of being.

If you like that he explores the concepts more fully in "higher reaches of human nature"

Best book ive ever read.