Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Hello I am new please don\'t destroy me with this question

I have lurked for a while and have found great info in this forum thank you.
This is a general hand question and i do not have a hand history nor is this a bad beat story

I have read all of sklansky's books and Super System, and more so I am not just jumping in blind

I do not have specifics on opponents stack etc
so with that said if i get flamed so be it.

It seems i am losing a large number of pots when for exmaple I am playing 2 mid level suited connector 6-7 7-8 etc and the flop gives me three of a kind. No flush draw on board. Is it bad move to push I am playing the small no limit so a $50 loss is not devastating

It seems i am constantly getting beat by a higher kicker

I am playing this wrong
Old 12-15-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Hello I am new please don\'t destroy me with this question

The short answer is that by pushing you are only getting called by hands that will beat you while you are forcing TPTK type hands out which will call more reasonable bets. Hope this helps, if you post a few specific hands people will be able to give better advice.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:03 AM

My thought exactly, I play mostly .5/.10 NL 40 max I would bet around half the size of the pot or a tad less. BEta is right you will only get called by hands that beat you, been down that road before. If you get drawn out on then so be it, it happens a nice bit, after the flop I would prolly make a close to pot sized bet on the turn, if reraised I would call a small amount and check the river if its scary.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:12 AM

Thanks guys, that helps alot now to qualify on the last case this happened tonight lol

I did make a pot size after the flop one player called
blank on the turn pot size bet again villian led out on me for a pot size bet on the river i went all in

i guess i should have read with the call he had the only other card and with my mid suited connectors i was probably beat?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 AM

Joe, maybe the other people on this forum can confirm/deny this but...you don't even really need to play those hands at small no limit games to make a good profit. A lot of times, it's better to stick to the more premium hands, and wait until you have a better sense of where you are in the hand before you start playing suited connectors.

They can make you a lot of money, but they are pretty tricky to play. If you think you can play them well enough, by all means go for it...I'm just letting you know that you don't really need to.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 AM

What I personally do is for me is I usually bet about the same amount on any hand I get unless the pot is kinda big then I'll bet a lil bit more, like my standard preflop raise is to .60 or .80 preflop, blinds being .10 .20 and I bet around .80 to 1.60 or a lil more if I hit something nice, you can make alot of money like this imo and you minamize your loses. I wouldnt keep making pot sized bets all the way because by that time alot of your money is in the middle, I guess I like playing smallball meaning keep the pot about avg size so when you are ahead you can keep draining the other person a buck or 2 at the time without pot commiting them and they drawing out on you.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:28 AM

welcome to the forums.

No one will berate you, no matter how mundane your inquiry may seem, as long as it's presented in a thought out manner. [ QUOTE ]
how the hell do you people male any freaking money online the sites are all rigged you are all idiots for putting your money on there blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Those types of comments will have you shitting fire for weeks... it's best to avoid them.

If you're flopping trips generally it'll hold up most of the time... when you enter a pot w/ drawing hands like suited connectors and such, just remember why you limped in in the first place. If you flop top pair w/ 7-8 it's unlikely to hold up til the river, don't go too far with vulnerable hands after the flop.

PG
Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 AM

wow, i am glad i made the move to post a question, this is great, JoeC I only start with the suited connectors if i can get in very cheaply big blind max, there is so much good information avaliable on poker in this forum, the problem is where and when to apply the newfound knowledge.

I have searched the archives I wonder if any of you have a thread of guidelines from moving from micro to mid to high no limit level games. With learning any new sport, and i do believe Poker is a sport and I am active in physical sports basketball, surfing etc and find poker stimulating to my mind in ways similiar to my other hobbies i am a very competitive person. It seems I play solid try to make the correct plays build up and then wham get knocked down, I assume this is with most players the learning curve etc. I look for traps slow plays etc.

The other problem i have which was addressed is the largest pots I have lost on the Internet have been when I pushed all in. In which I was informed and had read but it is finally sticking in my brain the only hands that will call are the ones that have me beat.

sorry for the ramble
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 AM

Welcome to the forums.

As for moving up in levels, there are tons of posts about it on here, but my general guideline is that once you can afford 10X Buy-ins at a higher level, just sit down at a table and try it out. See how it goes. If you feel that you can make money there, play it how it for a while and see how it goes. If you drop below 8 buy-ins, go back to your original level and keep making money there. The biggest problem with moving up in levels (and the problem I always have) is playing above your bankroll. If you want to try a new level, you want to have enough money that you can sit down, play and not be too concerned if you lose your buy-in.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:35 AM

Welcome to the forum. Only thing I would add to this is that as fun as it is to play higher levels and as good experience as it is and as much as I think you should definitely do it when you can . . . the worst idea in poker is to make your gains at lower levels and your losses at higher ones. Quickest way to stay broke.

Edit: This was in no way a critique of Po's point. Just agreement and a minor addition/clarification.