Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Guns, Smoking, Drinking, and Sex

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't get is why conservatives like this gentleman think society is somehow "more" sexualized now than it was in some mythical puritanical past. Thanks to the internet and drugs, humans are having less sex than ever before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. In American history, at least, kids and non-married adults are having a lot more sex than ever before. In other cultures including Renaissance and midevil Europe then yes you are right, but not here in America.

So kids and non-married adults are having a lot more sex. The only way to reverse the trend is to pass an amendment giving congress the authority to regulate cable TV, cinema and the internet. And if you don't do that then you better start teaching these kids how to have sex safely or we'll be in STD, unwanted pregnancy central.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In American history, at least, kids and non-married adults are having a lot more sex than ever before. In other cultures including Renaissance and midevil Europe then yes you are right, but not here in America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Care to back that up?

I'll give you a hint though, you are wrong.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about my point about pissing in the park.

[/ QUOTE ]
An outlier. I have already agreed that it would be impossible to extinguish all underage sex. Just as it would be impossible to extinguish all pissing in public.

[ QUOTE ]
The only solution is to regulate the entertainment industry.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not. See I can make declarative statements without proof too!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No it's not. See I can make declarative statements without proof too!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did back my declarative statements up. I said that kids are having more sex than they did back in the 50's when pre-maritax sex was severely frowned upon and when the entertainment industry was in its infancy. I then said that as the industry exploded, it learned that sex sold. Then the 60's happened and every premise was re-thought. So by 1970 you had sex everywhere and a culture of permissiveness. How do you propose to change the culture without changing the entertainment industry? The way I see even if a charasmatic figure comes around preaching against kids having sex, there will still be the enterainment industry selling sex. Because sex will always sell.

Well, you are right. It isn't impossibe. The charismatic figure may be smart enough, charasmatic enough to accomplish it, but refusing to teach safe sex won't help matters any.

As for my statement that kids are having more sex than before, I don't have the facts to back it up. I could very well be wrong. I just remember some things I've read over the years that have led me to believe that I'm right. Feel free to list your facts. I've got nothing against learning something new.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were no public streets or parks, you couldn't piss in public. You'd always be on someone's property, and they'd set the rules regarding where you could piss.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 AM

Why are certain segments of the population so quick to categorize anything fun as being bad. They just can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that a great many people would rather spend their free time smoking, drinking, gambling, using drugs, and [censored] than reading the bible and going to church.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 AM

I'm not saying any of those are necessarily* bad. My point has been that a worthy goal for society would be to not excuse sexual behavior among minors and that that attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

*Smoking I could call "bad" if it is done enough to become addicted. I don't smoke, won't smoke, and find smoking disgusting. But I don't think smoking should be banned.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying any of those are necessarily* bad. My point has been that a worthy goal for society would be to not excuse sexual behavior among minors and that that attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who decided that 18 should be the minimum age for sexual activity? Certainly not nature. I can think of a number of "worthy goals for society". Interjecting itself into 16 year olds' sex lives isn't one of them.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who decided that 18 should be the minimum age for sexual activity?

[/ QUOTE ]
"We" did.

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of a number of "worthy goals for society". Interjecting itself into 16 year olds' sex lives isn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good for you.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who decided that 18 should be the minimum age for sexual activity?

[/ QUOTE ]
"We" did.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Big Brother.