Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Rabbit-like

If you don't believe that pre-marital sex is Wrong then you must believe that whoever wants to have sex should be able to have it: Let the kids, themselves, figure out how complex, painful, and rewarding sexual relationships really are. Then through experience they'll make better decisions over time. Ofcourse, since sex can be dangerous, society should be protected from this learning curve.

If you do believe that pre-marital sex is Wrong then you must believe that schools, churches and government should do whatever it can to limit the activity.

I personally don't know of any reason to believe that pre-marital sex is Wrong.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do believe that pre-marital sex is Wrong then you must believe that schools, churches and government should do whatever it can to limit the activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe something is wrong, then feel free to use the school YOU own and the church that YOU run in an attempt to limit it. I don't believe for one minute that you "must believe" that the government should do "whatever it can" to make everyone behave like YOU want them to.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe something is wrong, then feel free to use the school YOU own and the church that YOU run in an attempt to limit it. I don't believe for one minute that you "must believe" that the government should do "whatever it can" to make everyone behave like YOU want them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus said that it's better to gorge out your own eye then follow it into temptation. Presumbably gorging out other peoples eyes would be better for them in the long run than letting them go into temptation.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus said that it's better to gorge out your own eye then follow it into temptation. Presumbably gorging out other peoples eyes would be better for them in the long run than letting them go into temptation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Invade them, convert them to christianity?

Seriously. If you want to subject yourself to a theocracy, and let someone else tell you want to do, great. Have fun.
Just don't force anyone else to join up.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously. If you want to subject yourself to a theocracy, and let someone else tell you want to do, great. Have fun.
Just don't force anyone else to join up.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my original post, at the very end, I explain where I stand. I took the opposing side in my next post to illustate the dangerous ground social conservatives tread.

Christian Conservatives, feel free to explain why I'm just engaging in old fashioned slippery slope illogic.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Guns, Smoking, Drinking, and Sex

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Since two kids that want to screw are going to do it regardless might as well tell them the safest way to do it. Telling them not to have sex, or making a law, won't help a goddamn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing the point. I can say the same thing about cigarettes. Underage kids can find a way to get them so we might as well tell kids how to do so safely, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Telling them not to have sex, or making a law, won't help a goddamn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Telling them not to smoke, or making a law, won't help a goddamn thing. At least, it won't if you're sending mixed messages like "you shouldn't do this, but if you're going to here's how..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my. Ever actually think about the crap you are posting? Safe sex is achievable with education but safe smoking is NOT. Sex is a natural urge, cigs are man-made drugs. These views are not a product of our society, these are facts. Your comparision is so far off. Your comparison about pissing anywhere is EVEN WORSE as one poster illuminated well. These are the signs of an ideologue, not a reasoner.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're missing the point. I can say the same thing about cigarettes. Underage kids can find a way to get them so we might as well tell kids how to do so safely, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really post this? This was an accident, right? A weird 1 in a million thing that this statement appeared as a post in this thread under your name. I'm giving you the benefit the doubt on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
My point is biological urges can be resisted if society is willing to discourage it. But if it's not or is sending mixed signals, then the biological urge will often trump societial pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit more reasonable. However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it. Believe me, I lived in Africa for a while and after a few months even I was pissing in the streets. Police officers piss in the street over there. And if pissing in the street was decriminalized here, in about 20 years, wherever there wasn't a toilet within 2 minutes, there'd be pissing. Go to a park even today, crime or not, people are outside pissing. Why? Because there are no toilets at the park and people can't hold it in forever. So my point is twofold, 1)to significantly reduce pre-marital sex you would have to make it a crime, enforce it, and regulate the entertainment industry and probably regulate girl/boy interactions as well. I don't think it's plausible. This is just an issue that preachers and politicians use to get people on their side.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree in the sense that a significant portion of society would piss in the street.

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I lived in Africa for a while and after a few months even I was pissing in the streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's all well and good but unless you haven't noticed, America is not Africa. The culture and social norms can be completely different.

[ QUOTE ]
So my point is twofold, 1)to significantly reduce pre-marital sex you would have to make it a crime, enforce it, and regulate the entertainment industry and probably regulate girl/boy interactions as well. I don't think it's plausible. This is just an issue that preachers and politicians use to get people on their side.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about pre-marital sex, I'm talking about pre-adult sex. And often pre-adult sex can be illegal (statutory rape, etc), yet that isn't stopping it.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if pissing in public weren't a crime, people would be doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree in the sense that a significant portion of society would piss in the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about my point about pissing in the park.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

So my point is twofold, 1)to significantly reduce pre-marital sex you would have to make it a crime, enforce it, and regulate the entertainment industry and probably regulate girl/boy interactions as well. I don't think it's plausible. This is just an issue that preachers and politicians use to get people on their side.

I'm not talking about pre-marital sex, I'm talking about pre-adult sex. And often pre-adult sex can be illegal (statutory rape, etc), yet that isn't stopping it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think pre-1960's teenage sex was much more uncommon. Girls didn't want to get a reputation and so demanded marriage b4 they agreed to it. But that was during the televisions infancy. And since TV learned that sex sells, they have been pushing the envelope ever since. As Americans have gotten more used to where the envelope is, so have sexual permissiveness changed. The only solution is to regulate the entertainment industry. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM

What I don't get is why conservatives like this gentleman think society is somehow "more" sexualized now than it was in some mythical puritanical past. Thanks to the internet and drugs, humans are having less sex than ever before.