Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Bubble decision as 3rd stack, AQ in BB

Party Poker $50 + $5, Big Blind is 300 (4 handed)

UTG (1040)
BTN (2900)
SB (4080)
<font color="#008800">Hero (1980)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
1 fold, <font color="#CC0000">BTN raises to 1100</font>, 1 fold, <font color="#008800">Hero calls</font>.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000CC">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#008800">Hero goes all-in for 880</font>, BTN calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000CC">(2 players)</font>

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000CC">(2 players)</font>

Total Pot: 4110

Is this an easy fold? I was multitabling and actually misread the stacks a little, thinking I was t300 less better off than the short stack that I in fact was. Would that change your decision?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Bubble decision as 3rd stack, AQ in BB

He could very likely be stealing, and you have a very nice hand.

I would have pushed. This makes the rest of the hand easy.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM

folding would be pretty bad, imo. i think calling and pushing if you miss and check-raising if you hit is the best play. just pushing now is fine also. but if villain folds any hand after you miss the flop, that's a coup for you.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless button is asleep at the wheel, pushing accomplishes nothing. He can't fold getting the odds he'll be getting. The stop and go is the way to play this if you're going to play it.

I'm a bit up in the air on what to do with this one. I think it's kind of marginal either way. And yes, your chip position relative to the short-stack is probably the most important variable. If he had 300 less I think it would most likely be a fold, and if he had 300 more (as you thought) then I think calling is probably not so bad. I tend to call in these kinds of situations a little too often, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless button is asleep at the wheel, pushing accomplishes nothing. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing here is not intended to get the button to fold (though he may), but I think you're in the pot with him with a better hand most of the time, so why not get the rest of your chips in here? (And if he does fold, well, that's fine too).
Old 07-08-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Pushing here is not intended to get the button to fold (though he may), but I think you're in the pot with him with a better hand most of the time, so why not get the rest of your chips in here? (And if he does fold, well, that's fine too).

[/ QUOTE ]

The stop and go gets your chips in the middle as well, but with a greater chance of him folding.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Just to clarify, it was my stack I got confused about. I looked and thought I had 1680 to his 1040, forgetting that I'd just posted 300 and he was about to next hand.

Something else of relevance was that UTG had been reasonably tight from what I had noticed, certainly not a LAG.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM

I see your point.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding would be pretty bad, imo. i think calling and pushing if you miss and check-raising if you hit is the best play. just pushing now is fine also. but if villain folds any hand after you miss the flop, that's a coup for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm torn on this topic, as I would need more reads on bigstack, why are you saying "folding is bad?" I actually think that if hero's stack was slightly bigger, say t2400, folding is a little more preferable, and that if hero's stack is slightly smaller, say t1400, pushing is absolutely preferable.

This stack is sort of In the Middle.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Doh, not UTG, I meant the button, who raised in the hand, had been playing fairly tight.