Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 AM

Default 87 s - gets worse every street - good fold?

What do you guys think of this hand?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (6.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Two questions -
(1) Should I have checked the turn?
(2) Do you guys see a call on the river when there's a bet and a call before it's to me?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: 87 s - gets worse every street - good fold?

I would have taken the free card.

I think you have to call the river as the pot is fairly big and your opponents could easily have hands such as AJ and Q9. I think a more interesting question is if perhaps you should have bet the river yourself.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 AM

Call the river
Old 03-25-2005, 05:17 AM

I don't like betting that river - What's going to call me? Two pair most of the time - but there are many more hands that have a naked king in them for a higher straight than two pr hands. Also, i'm certainly calling for one bet against one opponent - but against two? Am i going to win 1/12 times against two oponents - Seems like I might - I think that the river was a debatable call once i think about it - very slight +EV.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:21 AM

Check the turn.
You're getting 12-1 on the river. I think 1 in 12 times at least you're ahead. Remember you're only behind a K or the unlikely club flush. You beat everything else. Plus you’re closing the action. Clear call, IMO.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like betting that river - What's going to call me? Two pair most of the time - but there are many more hands that have a naked king in them for a higher straight than two pr hands. Also, i'm certainly calling for one bet against one opponent - but against two? Am i going to win 1/12 times against two oponents - Seems like I might - I think that the river was a debatable call once i think about it - very slight +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second opponent just adds value. Unless he is a terrible player he's not check calling anything that has you beat.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 AM

Opponents call bets will kinds of rediculous hands. By check-calling you are allowing your opponents to get a free show down with their weaker hands and betting their stronger ones for value... that doesn't sound very ideal to me.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:58 AM

i'd have taken the free card on the turn. you have low end of a straight draw and weak flush cards if you do hit. maybe betting is for value, i don't know, but i don't think betting accomplishes anything.

the river, i'd bet out. this is a good spot for people (even weak ones) to bluff. if you were willing to call a river bet, then you should bet yourself here.

If he has a better hand, though checks to your bet, you lose the same amount. call if raised. either way, don't fold a straight to one bet on the river.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:41 AM

Check the turn. You will have to make a flush or straight to win, hence there's not much to gain by having someone fold here.

Bet the river. Check-calling the river is bad. Button will bet only his strongest holding, but MP1 and button will call with much weaker hands. I can't fold this river getting 10 to 1.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:51 PM

they ONLY reason to raise the flop, imo, is to get a free card (which, once the button coldcalls, you no longer have position to do anyway). Attempt to take the free card. FWIW, i wouldn't raise this flop, but could be terribly wrong.