Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 04:54 PM

Default psych people, any suggestions?

Hello-
Any suggetions as to most realistic approach setting bankroll guidelines for growth?

I usually play 1/2 limit and don't have the huevos for 2/4 yet. I am finding the 20+2 nolimit SNGs highly intoxicating due to the change of pace and percieved higher earn (and ability to win 80 bucks at once! - i know, sounds dumb)...and am starting to stab at NL ring games for similar reasons. I think/know my desire to pad the BR as quickly as possible (for significant purchase) is clouding my focus and hurting my (usually ok) limit game.

Anyone have a good system for relieving this pressure?

Thanks
-t
Old 01-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: psych people, any suggestions?

I play live $1/2 NL cash games with $200 buy-ins. Some people are obsessed with "moving up" in everything. I think much of it is for ego gratification and to some degree the desire for increased winnings.

However, if we analyze the higher NL cash game blind levels and higher buy-in allowance, we will see that the grass may not be greener.

Higher blind levels mean higher cost of seeing the flop. In my experience, once a new table has logged a couple of orbits, the looser pre-flop raisers will learn that many players are folding pre-flop. The PF raisers then learn to let the table limp to the flop. The flop is where the real war begins. Do you want to pay more to see the flops?

As far as buy-ins, having a higher allowance doesn't mean you will make more off others compared to a lower buy-in. Most players I see re-buy for $200 over and over, so they will lose the same over time. I would think it's easier to win their $200 than $300 or $500. More chips means more bullets to fire at you, so to speak. The higher initial stack level partially compensates for their lesser skill level and makes it more difficult and time consuming to destroy them.

Speaking for myself, my skill level is such that I only need to buy in for $200 and will then build it up to a few racks while the lesser skilled players stacks dwindle to just 150 to 100 to 50...
Old 01-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: psych people, any suggestions?

A poker player's biggest asset is patience. That does
not mean you cannot take a shot a something bigger to
build a bankroll, but rather that you should be fairly
selective about the game you choose.

Fool around with things in your budget while learning
new games/forms as well. Once you are comfortable that
you know WHAT you are looking for in a bigger game,
is the time to take a shot.

mosquito