Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 08:25 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default AK hand from last night

Live at the muck!

The guy on my right is playing kind of tight, he also has noticed my play a little. Button is kind of tight and predictable. The other player is a dork.

Dork limps(EMP), player on my right limps(HJ), I raise from the CO with AKo, Button 3 bets(not quite auto, but he definitely was considering it before I chimed in with my chips), blinds scram, dork calls, HJ calls, I cap, all call.

Flop A T 9r

Dork checks, HJ bets...

He hasn't shown much aggression, but then, he hasn't really been in that many hands. But from what I've seen, he hasn't gotten out of line. Definitely not a tricky player.

I call, button now raises almost instantly. Dork calls, HJ now 3 bets.

hmmm....

b
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: AK hand from last night

I call and not like it. I think you might need an early exit on the turn if your reads are correct. However if you go ahead and raised initially, then I think this hand becomes a lot easier to play.

Scags
Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However if you go ahead and raised initially, then I think this hand becomes a lot easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.

With the preflop 3 bettor behind me, I wanted to see how he'd react to the bet with an A on the board. Also, given the pot size, I'm not protecting it against much if anyone has any piece of the flop.

b
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With the preflop 3 bettor behind me, I wanted to see how he'd react to the bet with an A on the board. Also, given the pot size, I'm not protecting it against much if anyone has any piece of the flop.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

but by not raising on the flop, you really make it tough to determine where you stand... bu could easily be raising there w/ aq or something figuring you for a pocket pair or some broadway gutshot-type hand... i can't imagine any of your opponents suspects you have a hand as strong as ak... the hj betting into you and the dork's cold calls are obviously very worrisome, but by just calling the flop, it's difficult to know where you stand in relation to all this action... given the way you played it, though, i think i muck the flop as hj's line screams of a good two pair or a set.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bu could easily be raising there w/ aq or something figuring you for a pocket pair or some broadway gutshot-type hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give him credit that he knows I wouldn't be capping preflop with a hand that would give me a broadway gutshot on this flop.

[ QUOTE ]
i can't imagine any of your opponents suspects you have a hand as strong as ak...

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think they are putting me on that I capped Preflop with here? Not to mention they'll think of their own range for capping firstly, which is likely a bit narrower than mine. Along with that, HJ HAS to figure either me or the Button have a strong hand as we 3 bet and capped it preflop. Both of us not being out of line all night.

[ QUOTE ]
given the way you played it, though, i think i muck the flop as hj's line screams of a good two pair or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my read also.

b
Old 11-03-2005, 08:20 AM

So we don't actually know what HJ's hand was and whether you made a "good laydown" or not? Damn B&M, where's the frigging Hand History?

FWIW I think I would of raised flop, but I would of also folded here I think.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 PM

As others have stated the initial call on the flop greatly expands the buttons raising range, and the other guys 3 betting range. I understand, however, your reason for doing it. Given how the flop action went down, I'd cap. You'll learn a lot about the buttons hand, and if you get led into or get raised on the turn, I think you can safely assume you're drawing dead and can comfortably fold (unless you pick up a gutshot, or an Ace, which changes everything.)

thoughts?

lf
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have stated the initial call on the flop greatly expands the buttons raising range, and the other guys 3 betting range. I understand, however, your reason for doing it. Given how the flop action went down, I'd cap. You'll learn a lot about the buttons hand, and if you get led into or get raised on the turn, I think you can safely assume you're drawing dead and can comfortably fold (unless you pick up a gutshot, or an Ace, which changes everything.)

thoughts?

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have stated the initial call on the flop greatly expands the buttons raising range, and the other guys 3 betting range.

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to me, yes. However, they still have to wonder what eachother have.

The buttons raising range is also narrowed by the HJ's betting into me. When the HJ 3 bets, his range isn't really that expanded. He just got raised on an A high flop with no real draws from a preflop 3 bettor and is now 3 betting himself out of position against the button.

b
Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 AM

Default another thought...

In regards to defining the hands, if i raise the flop, the button 3 bets, and now the HJ caps, do I really learn anything more than if I just called and the button raises and HJ 3 bets?

b