Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Stud8 - Day 5, Hand 10

First time being rolled up! My play in this hand was straight-forward. But I'm curious about seat 3. Supposing that he limped with 3 to a low, does the 4th street line make sense?

If he paired the 2, he has 3 to a low and a low pair against 3J that raised third. With his needing to draw 2 to a low and with such a tiny pair, is folding correct facing the bet by 3J?

If he didn't pair the 2, then he has 4 to a low. Is this a bad spot to chase?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (5.00 SB)
Old 12-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Stud8 - Day 5, Hand 10

I think by far the most likely scenario is that Seat 3 paired his 2. If not, it would make absolutely no sense to fold 4th if he did have 4 to a low since he called your completion on 3rd. So if I were him and had 4 to a low on 4th, I'm definitely seeing 5th street and see what happens.

It can get kind of hairy trying to catch your 5th low card for half the pot with no reasonable chance to win high. I lost a big portion of my stack in a tournament a couple days ago in that exact situation. I had a rough 7 on 4th street and finished with Nines up and lost to rolled Jacks.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM

It can get kind of hairy trying to catch your 5th low card for half the pot with no reasonable chance to win high. I lost a big portion of my stack in a tournament a couple days ago in that exact situation. I had a rough 7 on 4th street and finished with Nines up and lost to rolled Jacks.

Tough situation. Pretty much the only Stud/8 I play is the $20 MTT on 'Stars friday nights at 9:30 ET. Even though I've got an ROI of almost 100% for the past 15 months in that tourney, I swear if I could learn to avoid these circumstances, I'd be doing even better.

If I'm HU in this situation (once the levels are high enough), and brick 5th, I ask myself, "can I miss on 6th and hope to win the High side?" If I'm not confident of a yes, I try to fold unless my stack is tiny (takes a lot of discipline). Looks like in your situation, I would've suffered the same fate as you.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much the only Stud/8 I play is the $20 MTT on 'Stars friday nights at 9:30 ET. Even though I've got an ROI of almost 100% for the past 15 months in that tourney, I swear if I could learn to avoid these circumstances, I'd be doing even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this normal for stud/8 MTTs?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM

you would be surprised what are in the hole cards of limp/raise callers. it's possible he started with a big 3 flush, even one with two babes and paired the deuce, or maybe he had paint with an ace, caught a 3rd baby and thought you were strong. a conservative player would muck deuces with three babies here.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Is what normal?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is what normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROI near 100%
Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 AM

No, It's high, but it takes a long time to reach the long run in tournies. Mine is from 65 total tournaments, 3 wins, 1 3rd, 1 6th, 4 2nd tables. 13.8% ITM, ROI 95.8%. Turn one of those wins into a 4th and the ROI is much lower, more like 55%.