Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Heads-Up $30-60 Hand

Any comments on both players actions..

3RD STREET
----------
Player A (5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player B (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PLayer A brings it in for min..... PLayer B completes...... PLayer A makes it $60....... PLayer B makes it $90........ PLAYER A calls.

4th Street
-----------
Player A (5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player B (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

PLayer B bets $30 and PLayer A calls

5th Street
-----------
Player A (5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player B (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PLayer A checks..... Player B bets $60.......... PLayer A raises to $120..........PLayer B makes it $180 and PLayer A calls the $180

6th Street
-----------

Player A (5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player B (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Player A bets $60 and Player B calls

River
------

Player A (5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Player B (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

PLayer A bets $60............PLayer B makes it $120.......... PLayer A calls......

Any comments on either of the players play??? I will post my thoughts later tonight or tomorrow

CJ
Old 07-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Heads-Up $30-60 Hand

Third: I play it the same way heads-up if I was player A or B.

Fourth: If I was player A I'm just going to war here and raising rather than waiting for fifth. Since this is heads-up my hand dosent have to scream "flush draw" to my opponent. I did catch a scare card and he might simply reraise me to three bets thinking I'm just using my board to possibly buy me a free card on fifth. Even if I catch another spade on fifth I'm not expecting player B to let go. But if I catch a spade on fifth I might not be bet into now, and lose my opportunity to get any money in the pot.

fifth: As I said, I would have just played my hand fast on fourth if I was player A. The problem that I have with making it $120 here on fifth is that now you're putting in 2 bets as a 2-1 dog and possibly opening up yourself to get three-bet. The only way I like this play is against someone who you can get a lot of fold equity out of by checkraising. Basically, by check-raising you think you can get them to fold one medium to large pair (specifically 7's here) if you bet sixth and then the river. Given how this is a heads-up game I dont think thats too likely at all unless you happen to catch an open pair on sixth. Player B making it $90 on third street should have already announced to us that he has a hand. So I dont like the check-raise.

sixth: standard

seventh: I can see why player A is quite concerned here getting raised when he has open kings and a flushy board. Against a soild player, player A should be thinking its trips/pocket aces/some two pair combo trying to fill, that B went into the river with. Given the basic facts that two pair and trip combos, going in, outweigh pocket aces, I favor a call when he raises (just like he did). I dont like risking 2-1 in this situation here by making it $180. With all this being said, I do like the river raise by player B with aces up here. Theres actually a few more fine points (namely about sixth street play) that could be brought up here (like how would B play trips on sixth), but I have to be somewhere right now. These were just a few of my thoughts. Very interesting hand. These are the posts that I like to see.

Mike Emery
Old 07-24-2005, 12:37 PM

I think both played badly B is just worse than A.
b still raises rather than crying calls after seeing 4 flush upcards.
A fails to raise b bet on the river to maximise his winnings.
B bets on the river which should only be done if he has the nuts, because you win no extra and lose if there is a better hand.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:49 PM

*Bump*

This is the most interesting hand posted in a long time. I hope some more people take the time to respond to it.

Mike Emery
Old 07-16-2005, 11:31 PM

Default me too.. I posted it for a reason

n/m
Old 07-16-2005, 11:40 PM

player A is the much better player of the two.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
player A is the much better player of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whys that, Ray? All I really like is his call on the river as opposed to raising to $180. You really like that semi-bluff on fifth as a 2-1 dog that much? I think player B played it just fine. The only real debatable street from him is his river raise imo. I vote player B as the better player.

Mike Emery
Old 07-16-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I vote player B as the better player

[/ QUOTE ]

BE nice. I was one of the players, but not going to say which one yet.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

CJ
Old 07-16-2005, 11:58 PM

they both dont play well enough to be at that level. the river play by both was bad. b should never have raised and a should have reraised.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

they both dont play well enough to be at that level. the river play by both was bad. b should never have raised and a should have reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

B raising here, imo, is a much smaller mistake than if A were to reraise to $180. I dont think the reraise by A on the river is as obvious as people might think.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to play heads-up before you go to bed? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike Emery