Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Limit versus No Limit. What\'s best for the student?

I've been studying and playing for about 8 months. I play mainly in no limit structures. Such as small tournaments and a 1/2 nl cash game once a week. I also play sng's and the nl .15/.25 cash games on the net.
The reason I'm questioning whether I should play so much in these stuctures is that the great texts I've been studying almost soley deal with the limit stucture. Would it be better for me as student to play limit? I can appreciate that the differences are quite significant, especially concepts such as protecting your hand, and bluffing.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Limit versus No Limit. What\'s best for the student?

[ QUOTE ]
I've been studying and playing for about 8 months. I play mainly in no limit structures. Such as small tournaments and a 1/2 nl cash game once a week. I also play sng's and the nl .15/.25 cash games on the net.
The reason I'm questioning whether I should play so much in these stuctures is that the great texts I've been studying almost soley deal with the limit stucture. Would it be better for me as student to play limit? I can appreciate that the differences are quite significant, especially concepts such as protecting your hand, and bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well how are you doing in your no-limit adventures?

If you're doing well, stick with it.

But for a BEGINNER BEGINNER, limit is a much better game.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But for a BEGINNER BEGINNER, limit is a much better game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about getting a real understanding of the game, I agree. But if someone who had never played before gave me one day to teach them now to be at least a marginal winner at a game, I think NL would be easier to do that in than limit. So it depends what your goal is.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:29 PM

My goal is to be better poker player in the long run, being good enough to play in higher stakes games and being able to play them well.
Thanks for the reply, I think your gut tells you the same thing it's telling me.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:29 PM

Just study/play one game till you get sick of it or need a break, then work on the other. But, I would definitely let "enjoyment" be the determining factor. There is plenty to learn and study about every single game, so just play the games you like best.