Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Table Selection help...

I was hoping to get some help with table selection, I have browsed the low limit board and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.

I guess a little about me, I have been pretty successful playing part 2/4 over the past several months and have recently started using PokerTracker and game time seriously to try to improve (and eventually bump up). I only play 1-2 tables.

I hear table selection discussed a lot and was hoping someone could describe the best way to use these two tools to choose a table? I know you observe a handful of tables, but I'm not sure where to go from there -- gametime doesn't show stats until you play right???

Also what levels/types of table are you looking for? What are the most profitable -- vpip, prflop raise, etc?

I am a tight to semi-loose aggr/aggr player (vpip has been between 19-21)

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Table Selection help...

Get accounts on as many Party skins as possible, and deposit some real $ into them (might as well bonus whore while you are doing this). When you are not playing, have PT observe hands for 4 tables per skin. I even have a separate computer dedicated to this, so it is always running. After 2-3 days, look through your DB of observed hands for people with at least 100 hands played and a VPIP > 50%. Create a buddy list of those people. Follow them around and let them give their $ to you.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Might sound pretty stupid here, but what exactly do you mean by skin -- setting up different accounts?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might sound pretty stupid here, but what exactly do you mean by skin -- setting up different accounts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. He's referring to the other companies in the Party network - Empire, Multipoker, Pokernow, Intertops
Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. He's referring to the other companies in the Party network - Empire, Multipoker, Pokernow, Intertops

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget Eurobet, and, unfortunately, you cannot easily run Party and PokerNow on the same computer. But if you have two computers networked you can run Party on one and PokerNow on the other.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the help, but I think I am looking for a less complex answer... I travel during the week for work and just play a few hours per night -- I'm not looking to use multiple computers or sign up on a number of skins.

Any advice on how to get stats for the tables, and what are the key stats I should look for. Of the top of my head I would like to look at vp$ip, preflop raise, etc. and find tables that might be the most profitable.

How do I do this with PT and what are the best numbers to play at. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help, but I think I am looking for a less complex answer... I travel during the week for work and just play a few hours per night -- I'm not looking to use multiple computers or sign up on a number of skins.

Any advice on how to get stats for the tables, and what are the key stats I should look for. Of the top of my head I would like to look at vp$ip, preflop raise, etc. and find tables that might be the most profitable.

How do I do this with PT and what are the best numbers to play at. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can go through the hassle of using multiple computers just for the signup on the rest of the Party skins, then you can load them all onto your laptop and play with no problem. You just can't sign up for a Party skin from a PC that already has another Party skin installed.

Do this, whore the bonuses, and then open 12-16 tables and collect data as suggested already.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:19 PM

I play at Party and use PT. It seems only hands where I am dealt cards are imported into PT. How do I import hands from a table that I only observe?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM

This is gold. I have been wondering about the same question. This answer is so simple. I love it.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Do a search on data mining. There are a lot of posts out there with a lot of great ideas.

Basically, when you open PT and select Auto Import Party & Affliate Hand Histories.... it give you the option to import observed hands.

You'll want to create a database for the mining so you don't mix all those hands with your own database. It'll get way too big too fast.

Also, if you haven't checked already there is also the PT forum.