Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Palmiero tests positive for steroids?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball. If this is true, I hope he never gets a sniff of Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Do you seriously support induction into The Hall of Fame for a man who tested positive for steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and, FWIW, I put Bonds in the hall and I'm 1000% certain he took steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can justify putting a guy, even one with Bonds' numbers, in The HOF if he did it by using steroids. It just boggles my mind how you could say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaters have been in the Hall of Fame for a long time.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM

enagaing in illegal activity has always been against the rules. whther THG was technically illegal or not when bonds took it is a legal debate, but if it was, he broke the rules of baseball. What happens if the amphetmaine usage comes to light. i supose you feel the same way about that stuff?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:13 PM

You are probably right it was freak year but there was no question in 96 that he had used.

I don't think steriods account for everything but it is like Canseco said it, they can make a good player great or an average player good.

I think the problem is guys see the people in front of them using and so they feel they have to use in order to have a shot.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
enagaing in illegal activity has always been against the rules. whther THG was technically illegal or not when bonds took it is a legal debate, but if it was, he broke the rules of baseball. What happens if the amphetmaine usage comes to light. i supose you feel the same way about that stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we kicking Babe Ruth out of the HOF for drinking during prohibition?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Palmeiro's statement before Congress read as follows..."I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In a prepared statement, Palmeiro said he could not explain how the steroids got into his body. "I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raffy just pulled an FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. NH.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steriods do help, if you want proof look at Brady Anderson's numbers in 95 then look at 96.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why did he stop taking them? I mean, they worked great, they weren't against the rules and there was no testing.

I think the Brady argument does a better job of supporting the idea that bizarre events (Brian Roberts this year) happen from time to time.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 PM

raffy got it from brian roberts ...

now if they would only test sosa we could have the first 500HR roider tandem!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:21 PM

um, read my post again. I was pointing out that steroid use was not permitted by baseball prior to this year (contrary to the post I responded to), not that engaging in illegal activity should preclude induction to the hall of fame.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But corking doesn't make the ball go farther. If anything, it might take a few feet OFF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this said before, and IIRC, there is some study is always cited, but I seem to remember that there was an obvious reason the study didn't make sense. Why is that you say that corking a bat does not help? I find it very hard to believe that there would be players willing to risk their reputations using a corked bat if it didn't actually help. From my experience with softball, I doubt anyone would be fooled for long into thinking a corked bat was helping if it actually wasn't.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steriods do help, if you want proof look at Brady Anderson's numbers in 95 then look at 96.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. While we're on the subject, let's call out one of the most obvious Steroids users of the 20th century, Wade Boggs. Look at his 1987. It makes me sick. 24 home runs? His next highest total was 11 in a lefty friendly Yankee Stadium in 1994.

It is absolutely impossible that this was a freak occurence or a fluke, he was obviously juiced. And now he's in the hall of fame. What a travesty.

Wade Boggs, Obvious Juicer