Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: How do you acclimate to moving up? (lc)

Strange, indeed. I found little difference in moving from 25 to 50 6max. Just recently started playing 100nl 6 max (2 sessions) and I've been playing tight and a bit weak (20/10).
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 PM

This link is from the software forum:
linky

It is a program(not yet available) that will let you see your stack as an amount of BB's. Pretty cool when you change to a new limit.
Another thing is if PP will allow this program...

And no, i don't have any financial interest in this product, just thought it looked nice.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This link is from the software forum:
linky

It is a program(not yet available) that will let you see your stack as an amount of BB's. Pretty cool when you change to a new limit.
Another thing is if PP will allow this program...

And no, i don't have any financial interest in this product, just thought it looked nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll check it out once i get home

but is it that hard to look at your stack and just see how many BB you have? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but is it that hard to look at your stack and just see how many BB you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how big it is. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but is it that hard to look at your stack and just see how many BB you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how big it is. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i need to have this problem!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just curious how you guys handle moving up a level..

do you tighten up and try to get a feel?

come out with guns blazing?

play your regular game, but just think of it as with higher stakes?

i'm about to move from 25NL to 50NL (i know, no difference) but i'm curious for when i make the leap to 100NL and 200NL)

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have patience. Your daily losses (if you have any due to normal variance) of 5 BB may seem like alot in $2/4 ($20) when compared to .50/$1 ($5), but coach yourself and realize that this is just like your normal game, except inflated due to the obvious structure of bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved from $50 to $100 I had a night where I lost $140 and started stressing until I reminded myself how many times I have lost $70 at the $50 level.
Good post.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just curious how you guys handle moving up a level..

do you tighten up and try to get a feel?

come out with guns blazing?

play your regular game, but just think of it as with higher stakes?

i'm about to move from 25NL to 50NL (i know, no difference) but i'm curious for when i make the leap to 100NL and 200NL)

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have patience. Your daily losses (if you have any due to normal variance) of 5 BB may seem like alot in $2/4 ($20) when compared to .50/$1 ($5), but coach yourself and realize that this is just like your normal game, except inflated due to the obvious structure of bets.

That's the biggest psychological hinderance i found. Once that's settled, and you can handle those "swings"<-- in quotes b/c it's not really a swing, but normal variance then you're good to go.

I play tight as a drum until i get a really good feel. As you go up in limits, you'll see for yourself, the skill level does improve.

Again, the variance, which in lower limits, QUANTITATIVELY seems smaller, is QUALITATIVELY the same...

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent post - ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyways, by your temperament, and some of your posts, i don't think you'll have that much of a problem.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

good luck, sir... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Wnen climing Mount Everest you have to make sever stops enroute to the summit to allow you body to acclimate. Just takes time for your mind to start recognizing larger bets as "standard".
Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 200's are just as juicy and you just need to make better than half your previous PTBB rate to make more $$$$. I used to think the same thing until I got sick of TWP calling me a pansy.

So I will follow his example and say, "Take a shot at the 200's you PANSY!"

[/ QUOTE ]

What have your winrates been at each level you played? The general consensus (as I read in another post) seems to be that for NL $100, 6-8BB/100 is about normal, whereas my NL 25 (6-max) winrate was 15BB/100. I just moved up to NL 50, and the quality in play doesn't seem that much different; I don't yet see much of a reason why my winrate would be very much below where it was for NL 25 (hard to tell so far cause I've been on a card rush since moving up and my current rate is way inflated). Yet, if I were to move up to NL 100 and make 6-8BB/100 (and I certainly don't presume to think I could do a lot better than anyone else in this forum) that would barely be making the same amount of money, if not less, than 12-15BB/100 at NL 50.

So yeah, how well did you do at other levels? Does it ever happen that there's a large drop in your winrate from one level to the next, or is it gradual?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:25 AM

Personally, I just wait until I have 300 BB's at the next level that I can stand to lose, and then just take single table shots. If I lose anything at all, I move back until I'm back to the extra 300 BB's. I actually tend to play a little more aggressive when I'm first moving up, because it seems to get me a better feel for the game quicker. I'm almost ready to start taking shots at the $400's, and it's been working pretty well for me. I found the $200's to be almost as soft as the $100's. Go figure.