Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

About a year ago today
It became obvious that I could no longer afford to play recreationally with my daughter starting college. While at the same time reaching my, since sustained, pinnacle of having to play this game I love.

Moved from UB to PP with a handsome 10 buy-in bankroll, determined to ‘start being good now’ – despite not a clue as what that meant or how to do so. Oblivious to short-handed/chipped theorems, finding all the pushing ridiculous, I moved to PS where I could still min-raise with pretty big cards.

Found 2p2 in January, performing random Google searches at work. I was truly inspired and humbled with what I found. A poker community existing on a plane that was completely incomprehensible to me at the time. One of those – not knowing what was missing until it was found moments.

Just knowing that there was a mean to get to the end was all it took. During the almost four months it took me to find the courage to post, I was reaching a point in my development where thoughts of where to find my next deposit were no more.

Playing just a couple hours at night, I have been able to effectively give myself a 20% pay raise this year. Fully funding my daughters education, my golf addiction, and much more.

Equal to the monetary gains have been the friendships I’ve made (Yugo included!). Though I won’t be meeting my first 2p2’er until February, this forum has been an invaluable social outlet for me. My poker time is now much more than clicking buttons from the couch after dark. My youngest is quite impressed that I have 20 or so people in my AIM buddy list – pretty cool for a 39 year old, or so she says [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Next year? Continued learning, continued friendships…maybe a 30% pay raise!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards. Don't know if its the midwest thing, or that with age comes humility...(actually the latter isnt true because I'm getting up there, and well...).

A real good asset to the forum.

Ok enough ass kissing...
Old 11-30-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards. Don't know if its the midwest thing, or that with age comes humility...(actually the latter isnt true because I'm getting up there, and well...).

A real good asset to the forum.

Ok enough ass kissing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, quit trying to get his daughter's phone number!!

Just kidding, bluefeet seems like the goods just based on reading his posts.

I've been thinking a bit this week about the topic of this thread, I'll have to post something later. With the prospect of temporarily going pro on the horizon, I've been dwelling a lot on how far I've come and how far I have to go...
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I Can't wait to meet him in February.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:53 PM

One year ago: *more of a timeline

-Started to get mad at myslef for blowing $1600 MTT 5th place on high BI MTT's and liquor.

-Decided to start a proper bankroll and started with $100 at .5/1 Limit tables.

-Becoming intersted in the "rakeback" thing, still din;t get it untill summer '05

-Made 3k in .5/1 limit and then NL 25 tables when they were still 50BB.

-Used all poker profits to pad my bank account and some months of rent in advance.

-By June my bankroll was back down to about $200, stumbled into this forum and decided to become the next SnG king.

-Instead became known as the king of bad beat posts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Went from the 11's to my current home at the 55's playing about 1200 of each.

-Still dream of doing >500 SnG's at >20% ROI

-Need to get my rakeback back, jack.

-Bankroll now is at 9k and I hope to have 30k by next year along with a new car and soem WSOP memories.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 PM

ace in the hole,

You're going to have to stop pushing 42 preflop on level 1 of $109s in order to hit your 30k goal.

Tilting that hard is v bad...mmmmmmmmmmmkay?

Yugoslav
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

this time last year:

I wasnt playing much online poker, mainly nl home cash games. I thought $33 was a huge buy in. If I ever had more than $200 in my account I would cash out.

Last spring I made a deposit and vowed that It would be my last

started playing exclusively sngs

started reading this forum every day and was amazed that people could play more than 2 tables at a time

thought Raptor was some kind of poker god

Now:

I have 2 2001fps and 8 table the 22/33's on party (hopefully start 10 tabling w/ the new miniview)

Finally quit my $9 hr part time job so I can hopefully play more and start playing more cash games

havent met or really talked to anyone on here but I dont really post much
Old 11-30-2005, 02:53 PM

One Year Ago

<ul type="square">[*]Had never played a hand of poker[*]Got hooked on WPT and WSOP TV coverage and decided I would like to try it out[/list]
Since then

<ul type="square">[*]Purchased HoH1 early in January (it was the first book I came across when I went looking)[*]Found 2+2 from the back cover of HoH[*]Deposited $400 on Stars, started single-tabling the $5.50's, and have since worked my bankroll up to be sufficient for the $55's[*]In April, earned my way through the Act satellites at Foxwoods (for $60) and won a $5,000 seat for the NEPC main event[*]Got to play the final table of the Act III satellite with fossilman and moved all in on his BB from the SB with A,4. He thought for a long time and called with.... A,4. (We split that pot and eventually both won tickets for the ME)[*]Met a bunch of 2+2's at the Western MA forum tournaments[*]Have become friendly with many others via the Stars Trout events[*]Recently purchased a 2001fp and started 4-tabling (back at the $11s for this)[*]Finally made an online MTT final table after bubbling out the first 3 times I got close to one[/list]
Plans for 2006 <ul type="square">[*]Keep learning and having fun[*]Host a 2+2 tournament at my house next summer[/list]
Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 PM

Nice thread so far.

A year ago, I was playing $100NL 6-max (just one table), and probably leaking away a lot of my profit playing MTTs.

Since then, I've:

--Basically quit NL ring games after they changed the stacks to 100BB
--Goofed around with some low LHE cash games with moderate success
--Won an MTT for 8k
--Started playing the $20's in April, and have played about 1500 since then
--Bought two 2001FPs
--Started investing in an IRA
--Met a bunch of 2+2ers at Turning Stone (dtbog, falker11, TstoneMBD, augie_) and some Madison STTers (runner4life7 and fluorescenthippo) when I was at a party at their neighbor's apartment and I told someone to "SIIHP." Also met MuckedTheNuts at our 2+2 homegame, and would have finally met Jman if he hadn't stood us up (!!!).

I had a great year, and hope this year will be even better. I also hope to meet some more of you, but it'll be over a year before I'm 21, so Vegas will have to wait.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:44 PM

One year ago...

I was playing one table of .25/.5 limit on Pacific

I had a $100 roll

I had just finished reading SSHE

I planned on playing limit until I was rich

Now...

I made a solid chunk playing up to 3/6 limit but got burned out on it

Have read SSHE over 6 times and have also read about 5 other 2+2 books

Started playing SnGs a month or two ago

Am currently 4 tabling the 22's at Stars to clear bonii

Plan on moving to Party so I can eventually 9 table the 22's

Have over a 50 buyin bankroll for the 55's

<font color="white"> Who are you people with the rakeback still? Are you are Party? If you are PM me. </font>