Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Internet players only - How many of you \"just\" play?

I apologize if this has been covered before or if this is the wrong forum. I thought about posting on the internet forum, but it's a zoo over there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I wanted serious repsonses from serious internet players.

I have a problem which I'm sure is costing me EV. I 4-table and cannot seem to stay focused soley on the games for any length of time. I try to give the games 100%, but after a short while I begin to lose focus and I'm reading 2+2, writing an email, or talking on the phone while I play.

I'm curious if this is something unique to me, or do other pros struggle with this as well? Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions on how to stay focused? I mean it isn't as if this isn't important enough to me. I think what happens is that overall I'm making decent money and I think it's ok to slack off, but I'm not a slacker as a general rule. I have fun when I play live and don't sit there like a robot, but I do pay very close attention to what's going on. The thing that scares me the most about online, is that I'll have played 200 hands with somebody and I won't even realize it until my HUD kicks in! And I call myself a professional?

Another problem I have is that I can't seem to play more than a couple of hours without taking a break. In fact, I'm more likely to slack off when I'm having a decent day!? Anyway, all of this concerns me because it is NOT how I approach live play. I'm developing what I feel are non-productive patterns and I'm afraid this will bite me in the ass soon if I'm not careful. I'm curious if this is normal or not and if not... How do you guys maintain your focus and work ethic?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Internet players only - How many of you \"just\" play?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious if this is normal or not and if not... How do you guys maintain your focus and work ethic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normal. It's not easy, I just try and force myself.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 AM

I don't know why I didn't think my lifelong procastination and work ethic issues would not surface when I quit the real world to play poker. I guess I thought since it was a job I love I would be ok. Well, I do love the job, for the post part, but still have the same focus and duration issues. Not much I think I can do about it except the same thing I did through school- force myself.
Though it also helps to remind myself that I ought to be taking pride in my play and trying to improve all the time. If I manage to disengage autopilot and really work on thinking about things it's a more rewarding experience overall.

2nd
Old 08-31-2005, 03:41 AM

You should only 4 table when you really feel like it. When you're not in the mood to play but still feel like you're leaving money on the table, run 2 tables and try to make better reads, ect, it's going to keep your sharp in the long run.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:10 AM

great advice. I have the same problem and looking back i am rarely productive for long periods while 4 tabling and its been hurting my BR, gonna make an effort to try this
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 AM

I end up surfing the net or posting on 2+2, but usually I'm conscious enough to sit out for a while and take 10-15 minute breaks every so often and spend the majority of my play focused. Staring at a computer screen and repeatedly clicking the mouse can wear out anyone. I generally sit out a round or two, or find a new table if the game isn't particularly great after about 100 hands.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 AM

What you are experiencing is the same thing we all experience in our daily jobs.

I work for a wall street firm.

We are very focused. It is very stressful at times.

I've been doing it for 15 years.

The reason I have been so successful over that period is not because I'm a nice guy...or smarter than someone else...or have connections.

It's because I take a break and workout EVERY day at lunch. I run, swim, ride my bike or lift weights.

It clears the mind, relieves stress, helps me focus in the afternoon.

There was a good article about this issue in yesterdays Wall Street Journal.

Good luck,

Ironman Dave
Old 08-31-2005, 11:22 AM

This is great advice. I'll sometimes take a break and go for a swim. When I come back I feel refreshed and alert. Unfortunately I usually only take this break when I'm having a good day. I guess I feel I can afford to take a break them. When I doing poorly I try to slug through it and "work" more. I should try doing this every day regardless of what my day has been like. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:24 AM

This makes sense. I guess I've just looked at it as I'm either going to be a 4-tabler or not. But there's no logical reason why I can't play fewer games if I'm not in the mood or don't have my A game. This can only help. Thanks Killua!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:49 PM

Is putting in hours really such an issue for everyone? I dont really have any problems putting in 25k hands a month or so 4 tabling the 20/40. Now I will admit that I will often be reading 2+2 but I do not feel that it negatively effects my game in any real reasonable amount. Then again I played everquest in high school so i learned the "ability" to sit in front of a computer for hours.