Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Anyone change their view of Hellmuth?

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I did get that Hellmuth really does love some poker. He loves the game and wants to see the best players win all the time. He still takes it too seriously though. He even freaks out when someone else gets bad beated. He doesn't take into account the reason why he is so rich in general is bad players take shots with -EV. They're going to hit every once and a while. Guy needs to take beats less seriously, nothing you can do about it, move on to the next hand.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Anyone change their view of Hellmuth?

I don't think a lot of people heard his comments over the web. Was he just doing it Friday night, or the whole week?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:39 PM

I thought Phil Helmuth did a great job. (only final table and was doing shifts but he did most of it). Daniel Negraneau I feel is a bit better technically, but Phil was probably second best commentator.

It's kinda funny how he says "drawing dead" so liberally even when the person has 6 outs....he ain't drawing dead then Phil.

I was really impressed with Phil's reads though, great to hear a broadcast where commentators don't know the hands, you really get to see how these great players think.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:47 PM

I tried looking around cardplayer.com for archives of the broadcast - didn't find any. Anyone else find them?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:53 PM

I really enjoyed the commentary.

I also found it really funny every time he insisted that a pocket pair vs two overcards was a 13-10 favorite before the flop, then proceded to whine about how TT got drawn out by AK (or something similar) when all the money went in preflop.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:13 PM

no. i still like him.

though i do enjoy his more lighthearted, funnier side than what we normally see, but its all good.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:20 PM

Phil seems to think you're "drawing dead" if you're behind on the flop. He did some great commentary, but he needs to update his references into the late 90's. His over-reliance on ending a sentence with ",Baby" should be left to Scotty Nguyen. I wonder how much better all of the commentary would've been if Matusow stuck around a little longer or if there were more pros at the FT. You could sense the disappointment they had after Mike busted out.

Kevin...
Old 07-17-2005, 05:44 PM

He did a great job commentating.

The biggest problem with Hellmuth is he thinks people "deserve" to win, and poker should be 100% skill, 0% luck. He just doesn't seem to get that there is a TON of luck in the game. Look at his style of play, he tries to make luck as small a factor as possible. Unfortunately, he made the wrong career choice if he doesn't want luck to be such a factor.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:05 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
He did a great job commentating.

The biggest problem with Hellmuth is he thinks people "deserve" to win, and poker should be 100% skill, 0% luck. He just doesn't seem to get that there is a TON of luck in the game. Look at his style of play, he tries to make luck as small a factor as possible. Unfortunately, he made the wrong career choice if he doesn't want luck to be such a factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, I agree.

I was a bit surprised Hellmuth was such a good commentator. He should do that more often.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried looking around cardplayer.com for archives of the broadcast - didn't find any. Anyone else find them?

[/ QUOTE ]