Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Chip Label Feedback

Long-time lurker here. I have a large set of the 9g Las Vegas Pro "Clays". They are decent and have a pretty good feel and sound, but the labels are hideous. So, I've been working with Jason to do some custom labels. I should note that the main colors are being matched to the chips and the secondary colors are matched to the edge spots. Note also that the recess area on these chips is 1.25" and we are making 1.2" labels.

The problems we're having are:

1. Getting the fish graphic to show up on the chip and not be blurry.
2. Getting the denoms in without making the chip too "busy".
3. In the first set of images, the cards are not big enough to be seen when sized down to the actual size of the labels.

We are open to any/all comments on how to make these better. So, fire away...

Thanks.

Scot

http://img80.echo.cx/my.php?image=all9ui.png

http://img80.echo.cx/my.php?image=new1k8lk.png
Old 05-24-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Chip Label Feedback

I like the second one. I think, however, you don't need the denom 4 times. Just pick a spot and put it there. Also the font seems a bit inconsistant, perhaps that is by design (the word ROOM the first 'O' is bold, the second isn't)

I also have the 9G clays, but not the pro's and labeled them, but I only had to peel labels on the purples because I bought the blanks knowing I was going to label them. Have fun with that!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Ditch the cards - they hide the teeth. The teeth are the coolest feature of the graphic.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:52 PM

The second one is really cool looking. However, "Live or Die by the river" is kinda lame IMHO.

-Craig
Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 PM

getting the graphic to show up not blurry is based on 2 things, the quality of your printer and the resolution of your image.

you need to set the dpi of the image in whatever program you are creating it in to 600+ depending on printer. if you're using kinkos or some other professional printer, i'd ask them what they reccomend. if the fish image is a drawn image or created in photoshop or illustrator, the source needs to be scanned at the higher dpi, or in illustrator, created at a higher dpi. you cant save a scanned image at 100dpi as 600dpi and expect any improvement, it has to start out at the higher dpi.

again, if the printer being used is shitty, anything less than a color laser if its an office type printer, or anything less than a print shop if its not at home, you wont ever get good results. Doing these types of labels on an inkjet will only result in smudged labels after the first night of use.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Here's a revision.

Savage
Old 06-01-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're using kinkos or some other professional printer

[/ QUOTE ]He said he was working with Jason, right?

I think you should ditch the little suit marks. They don't really add anything but clutter, and you already have the words at top, words at bottom, skeletons on the sides, and big fish in the middle. This will also make it easier for you to put the denoms twice per side. (Maybe top and bottom, inside the words. This will leave a little more space for your bigFish.) Perhaps you can use the insets you currently have for the suits, and use these to offset the denom a little. Try it out.

Let us know what you decide.
-Sam
Old 06-01-2005, 05:56 PM

P.S. I really don't like the 'gold on light-green' on your green chip. Maybe switch to 'black on light-green', instead.

Also, are you married to the shading on the fish? The sunglasses might look better w/o the inside coloring.