Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 04:19 PM

Default A4s on button 3-handed

Late in a home game STT. Originally 10-handed, down to final 3. Top 2 places pay. I am short stack with T5000. The other two each have around T8500. Blinds are 300-600 but are going up to 400-800 next hand. The SB was an ABC player, but the BB was loosey goosey and had made some horrendously loose calls several times already. The only reason he was still around was by catching miracle cards earlier in the tourney. I am on the button and get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. What is the correct thought process and recommended play in this situation?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: A4s on button 3-handed

First thought: How much for first and how much for second?

If first and second pay the same, I might pass and hope the loose player busts soon. Otherwise, I push. The SB probably folds all but his best hands, and if the BB calls too often, you may well be ahead if he calls. Bottom line is that picking up the 900 chips in the blinds is huge right now. If you wait a few more hands your folding equity is gone.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: A4s on button 3-handed

I agree with zac777. Push and hope you don't get called.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: A4s on button 3-handed---results

Thanks for your thoughts which were mine exactly. First place paid 65%, 2nd place paid 35%, and third place got a copy of "Moneymaker" as a consolation prize.
I pushed, the SB folded, and the BB said "I know this is a loose call but here goes..." and flipped over QTo. I really liked my chances at that point (I was a 60-40 favorite). The flop came A-Q-T, the turn was another T, and the river was the case T. Unreal! But I was destined to lose everything on this hand whether or not I pushed preflop. This proves that chit like this is not limited to Party Poker.