Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Online cardrooms rake too much for their own good

I could see Party increasing there rake. Will an increase of 50% make them lose 50% of there base? Probably not. I would not be supprised if they tried to find the magic number where people dont seem to care about anything under that.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see Party increasing there rake. Will an increase of 50% make them lose 50% of there base? Probably not. I would not be supprised if they tried to find the magic number where people dont seem to care about anything under that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hypothesis does not have logical sense. If partypoker increased their rake 50%, their population growth would be severely hurt. Only around 25% of players are winning players as it is. With an increase of 50% very few players would be winning players. Losing players would lose their money quicker and be more likely to bust out. Once they bust out they can't play any more until they deposit more money, which they may not even do. Over the long run, the action at party would be severely hurt.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:27 PM

You have a point Awesomo, I see where you are getting at.

Couple points:

1. I think Party is starting to lower their rake a little possibly with bigger deposit bonuses and their new VIP type program, don't know how it will pan out though

2. 40-41% of players are winners.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. 40-41% of players are winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying this is wrong, but was there a study done that came up with that result? I'd just be curious to see the details if there is one.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:38 PM

Offering a deposit bonus or starting a player-points program is NOT the same as lowering the rake.

The rake has been the same for the past 12 months.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As many have stated in the past...

" All of the websites have approximately the same rake structures. If one site lowered theirs, it would cause the other sites to lower as a reaction. "

This assertion is false. Most bad players don't choose a site based on rake structure. Most good players choose a site based on where bad players play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that, 95% of the online poker players probably don't even realise how much they pay in rake.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:42 PM

I have 4,500 players in my pokertracker.. 40.77% are winners. This has been pretty consistent all along through any period tested and what others have came up with.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 4,500 players in my pokertracker.. 40.77% are winners. This has been pretty consistent all along through any period tested and what others have came up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This figure is wrong. I suspect that you do not have enough hands of these players. Consider it like this: 40.77% of sessions are winning sessions. It should be clear that if the average player has 40.77% winning sessions, he should be a longterm winner much less of the time.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be willing to bet that less than 5% of online players cash out $$$ on a monthly basis. Everything I have ever seen with your quoted stat is to small a sample to mean anything. I do know one person with 500,000 hands in his database and only 3% of the people have played 1000 hands against him. This is also true for my database about 1/2 the size of his. All the other players come and go - mostly go. I wish one of the online sites would enlighten us with this stat - what % of players have cashed out more than they have deposited. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2004, 05:07 PM

I would be willing to bet any amount of money that if I were to hit 1 million hands in my database that at least 37% of players would be winners. Most people would quote 40% are winners in their pokertracker database. Not saying they are huge winners, but winners none the less.

On $2/$4 games the rake is a little less than $1/hand. Call it $1 hand for simplicity.

@$1/hand. average of say 50 hands/hour, the average person is raked $5/hour. Not bad for entertainment.