Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Set of 8s - how did I do?

I never know quite when to slow down with sets and when to keep pushing... please let me know how I did this hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]UTG +1 was loose (seeing 75% of flops) but relatively passive...didn't see him raise any hands PF.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $1.25 (All-In)</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (15.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB
Old 08-30-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Set of 8s - how did I do?

Hand looks good to me. You pushed when you had the best of it. No reason to slow down but that was the worst possible card to see on the river. 3 to a flush and 4 to a straight on board, I'm guessing your hand was no good.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM

Actually...the guy flopped a set of 10s...I was behind the whole time...just never realized it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 10:31 AM

You played it fine. The idiot is UTG+1 who missed a bet by not raising pre-flop.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:46 AM

There is nothing to do here. Be glad you didn't play NL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 PM

I thought you played it fine, though I would have checked the river. If he made the straight or flush, you could get raised and lose two bets, if you check he might bet with a lesser hand (which you call); he's not likely to fold.

Tough luck. If he's as loose as you say though he's much more likely to have T8, bottom set or top pair on the flop.

Out of interest what did UTG have?

RH
Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Sets = Winning lots or losing lots.

You played it fine, next time hopefully you land in the other bracket.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 02:04 PM

Yesterday was one of those losing lots with sets days...I flopped 7 sets and lost with 5 (!?!) of them. (I played 1100 hands...) The first three I lost to higher flopped sets...which seemed bizarre. I just posted this to make sure I wasn't missing a big sign that reads, "Drawing Dead!!!" But if you guys didn't see it, I'll just chalk it up to being one of those days [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2004, 03:46 PM

You played it fine. What you have to remember that set over set is going to be expensive. If someone flops a higher set, so be it.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 08-30-2004, 03:53 PM

Sometimes I find myself complaining that none of my pocket pairs ever hits a set during a session or through multiple sessions. But it really hurts when you hit it and lose to higher set, straight or flush - - especially after a long No-Set dry spell. But that's poker - - right? Got to get the money in when you think YHIG.

Anyway, I think I would have checked/called the river with that scary board.