Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Hold\'em or fold\'em? Set w/ 3 flush board: $111 pot in pl $25

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

MP1 ($36.30)
MP2 ($30.05)
Hero ($54.10)
CO ($24.25)
Button ($29)
SB ($68.97)
BB ($7)
UTG ($19.25)
UTG+1 ($23.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0, UTG+1 calls $0, MP1 calls $0, MP2 calls $0, Hero calls $0, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0, SB completes, BB checks,50,50,50,50,50,50,

Flop: ($4) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button folds, SB calls $6.

Turn: ($20) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $19</font>, Hero calls $19.

River: ($58) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $30</font>, Hero calls $26.60 (All-In).

Final Pot: $114.60
<font color="green">Main Pot: $111.20, between Hero and SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $3.40, returned to SB.</font>

Would you call these bets, with no read on SB?
What would you do if a fourth heart came on the river?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Hold\'em or fold\'em? Set w/ 3 flush board: $111 pot in pl $25

Unfortunately, consistent with fishy play by the villan you are often behind here. I'm not sure whether I would have called the turn or the river, but it's a tough spot.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM

i would definitely call both the turn and the river. if a 4th heart had hit the river (aside from the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], obviously), i'd fold, or check behind and hope.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM

Hi,

1st, you should think about raising a sea of limpers with TT given your position. Playing TT for set value only isn't my style. A raise to $3-$4 is about right.

Your decision should be made on the turn, not the river.

Given the stack sizes your turn call pot commits you. Calling the turn when getting 1:3 on your 1:4 draw with just enough implied odds to make it worth while, if you believe he'll pay off your FH.

Now, why can't you give us a read on the SB? Both of you have larger then buyin stacks. You both have to have played here for a while. You should know if he accumulated the stack by playing poorly or well.

Oh, And calling all in with your stack is a great way to reward the fishy play. I'd call any sized bet with a draw from you if you insist on paying me off. At .50BB you probably get shown the flush 2/3, a bluff 1/10 times and 2 pair or a lower set the other times.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Default RESULTS

SB turned over Js9c, and I took the huge pot. When he made a bet the size of the pot on the turn I decided that his intent was to intimidate me. I didnt think someone would bet a flush draw into a large field at this level, and it was impossible for him to have top pair and a flush draw.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:25 PM

the most interesting thing to me here is that given the right opponent whether you play on or fold doesn't make that much difference.

going all-in you're getting about 3:2 on your money, so if he's a yahoo and would play on with a lot of non-flush hand, you should call him down. picturing an average player there you actually didn't face a big decision! in other words, whether you play on or fold - in the long run over many repeats of the same situation - you about break even.

once the table's postflop play tightens up (assuming you don't know the individual player well), you have more of a decision.

matt