Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Non Believers Predominate Heaven? Just Maybe.

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever the subject, the default approach is one of disbelief, it does not require a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am dubious of the effectiveness of the hermeneutics of suspicion, particularly with respect to this question. The rationalist, I contend, must play by his own rules. Neutrality, then, is necessarily a virtue. A robust skepticism, on the other hand, is just as tendencious as a thoroughgoing credulity.

The burden of proof gambit bears the distinct aroma of an avoidance mechanism. I think it is fair to say, though, that theists have been quite willing to pick up the gauntlet. And I will concede that some atheists have offered substantial critiques of this positions. It is a wonder that discussions ever begin, considering the willingness to hide behind Occam's Razor. But I digress.

My original comment was in response to the scenario where an hypothetical atheist had already offered a partial reason for his disbelief, one that is easily debunked.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure it's not as simple as a/b but religion is about the only subject that people who normally use a b approach switch to a.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your categories, but the incongruity that you perceive is due in part to the nature of the question, the answer to which is fundamental to our understanding of our world and ourselves. The idea that one must remain loyal to a particular epistemology is fostered, I think, by a foolish consistency and the Western obsession with unity.