Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Pruning, pruning, pruning

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not getting paid for this

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right!

Vince
Old 06-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Advice on Moderating the WPT and Other Televised Tournaments Forum

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! im scared of your wrath! haha. gl

rj
Old 06-02-2005, 07:00 PM

Banning Vince would be a step in the right direction.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:16 PM

Here's a few tips just from having visited properly moderated forums in the past, and what works to rehabilitate a shithole situation.

First, don't delete threads, lock them. by locking them people can view them, and see what is and is not acceptable. It also doesn't erase any history of the idiots in the threads. even spam threads should be locked and not deleted.

individual posts should also not be deleted. if a post is 90% legit and 10% flame, and it is feasible to do so, edit the post and state that it was editted. generally, forums have a list of 5-10 rules, and when editting is done,whether partial or whole, the rule in violation is pasted. again, this keeps forums clean, and also provides insight to other readers what is and is not acceptable. This takes more than 2 mods for a forum witht his much traffic imo, but even done in partial, along with user enforced 'moderation' it is helpful.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's easy to automate a process which would help keep pros from getting pissed at trolls. Even if you had the best means possible to delete a post or ban a poster when you felt he was trolling, the damage is done once the pro reads the post(s).

I think ultimately the best way to keep pros around is to fight fire with fire. If someone posts something unpleasant to someone we'd like to keep around, those of us who feel it's inappropriate should assail the particular post with insults and apologies meants to reassure them that most of us are decent. An intelligent post, followed by an irrelevant troll, followed by 15 attacks on said troll mixed in with thanks to the OP are about as good as it'll get to retaining people I'd bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally disagree with this. With several active moderators, and with people using the "report this post" function, inappropriate posts can regularly be deleted within minutes of their appearance.

Fighting fire with fire just turns the whole thread into a flame war, and nobody wants to read through that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Just delete the offending posts, warn the offender. Repeat offences lead to banning.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were more inclined to "snuff" people? No? Oh' I get it, here, I'll turn my back. Feel better?

Vince
Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-02-2005, 09:19 PM

Whatever you do Dynasty, DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT, lock or delete the Shana Hiatt Playboy Photos thread.

It soon should hit 2 million views.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Pruning, pruning, pruning

Dynasty -

First - congrats on your new moderator privleges. Giving some trusted 2+2'ers this power to help ease the massive responsibility mat undertakes is something I have been advocating for awhile.

2nd - I echo the thoughts of stopping the insult-barrage when it gets personal or inappropriate. Especially when a big-name player comes to the forums.

Examples - We shouldn't have to tolerate the idiotic crap that some people are so rude to post about Greg Raymer. He's a good guy who continues to post some of his opinions here as the world-freaking-champion. Some of the insults that he has received...particularly in the discussions of the 'Bellagio incident' are not contributing anything and are completely rude and appalling.

As I recall, I believe that some nasty stuff has been said about female players such as Annie Duke and Jennifer Harmon before that have zero poker value.
I know that we are mostly men here....but seriously, if I want to read about Annie Duke and whether 2+2'ers think she is a good player or not I don't think we need to allow the "I'd do her in the pooper" comments to stay in the thread.
They don't accomplish anything and are just offensive.

Yes....there are other comments that others might make that are less offensive and those get to stay up. Big deal. Many of us have said that Hellmuth is a whiner....or that so-and-so if addicted to craps or is a coke-addict or what-not.

This is NOT the same as some of the crap that has been directed at Raymer and Duke.

These are privately owned forums. It's up to S&M and whomever else they choose to decide what THEY deem appropriate. If someone doesn't like it, then tough-cookies, go somewhere else.

You guys DO have the power to get rid of this stuff and all you have to do is say, "Well...it crossed the line for what we considered appropriate....so we got rid of it. It's our call. We didn't like it."

To clean up the conversations in this and the other 2+2 forums lets begin by looking at the baseless and offensive personal attacks that are so frequently directed at 'big-name' players like Raymer and Duke.

And then lets go drop a nuclear bomb on the dude pushing all the Jesus threads on us.