Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Not knowing what line to use

I'm up aginst a guy with 40/10 stats who I think had pretty aggressive stats post flop.

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(4 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB.

What do you think?
How would you have played if the turn was blank?

What follows is my thinking. Only read if you want to. Please give your opinion on the hand even if you don't feel like reading the remaining long text [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On the flop I figure he probably has Jx, X5, X4. All those hands probably bet the turn if I call and check.

I think he has Jx most of the time.

If I 3-bet + bet I put one bet more in as a dog and I put myself at risk of getting bluffed out of the pot.

If I call + bet I gain nothing since he probably would bet a worse hand behind anyway. I put myself at risk of getting bluffed out and I lose my outs when raised.

So I went into call down mode.

On the turn my equity when behind improves to like 25% so I figure I want to put my bets in when I have the best equity. If I call down then I put 1 BB in with 25% equity and the other BB in on the river with 0% equity when I miss. I rather want to put both in on the turn (when raised) and then fold to a river bet.

But if I can fold to a river bet now, then I should have been able to fold to a river bet without the straight draw as well. So my plan on the flop should have been to call + bet + bet?

What are the pros?
I get paid on the river when he wouldn't bet a stronger hand.
(When I got the OESD I got the added pro of 25% equity on the turn)

What are the negatives?
I lose my 2 outs sometimes and I put myself at risk of getting bluffed out.

I think the pros aren't strong enough compared to the negs for me to bet out a blank turn. But when the OESD came I think I was correct to bet.

What do you think?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Not knowing what line to use

Bump...

I'm really interested to hear your views [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Not knowing what line to use

I would have c/r the turn.