Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Preflop stuff #2

You are in the Small Blind.
All players at the table have folded up to you.
Only you and the Big Blind are left.

Against what kind of Big Blind player do you play the most hands
A) Thinking TAG who defends liberally, tricky post flop
B) Thinking LAG who defends "too much", tricky post flop
C) Loose passive player who folds lot's on the flop
D) Loose passive player who calls lot's on flops and turns?
If you want to add player types then please do.

Is there any difference in what kind of hands you steal with against the different palyer types?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Preflop stuff #2

Against the loose passive folder, I'm completing or raising a lot. Also, im nearly always betting the flop and the turn.

Against the loose passive callstation. Im raising for value preflop lots. Also, im generally only betting when I have something worth betting. However, if he is the type to bet when hes checked to, I need to "mold" him into the check behind type by check raising him a fair bit.

Against lags I generally want hands that I can showdown unimproved and win. I really want to see showdown against them. This means pocket pairs and hands with 2 face cards (with an ace) are valuable. You may even want to mix up limping in with them if he is bluff happy.

Against thinking TAGs, I generally just try to play good poker against them. Knowing what your table image is helps a lot, since it allows thinking level higher than them.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Preflop stuff #2

I'm usually going to miss the flop, so I would want to play against the guy is always going to call and fold the flop. Obviously, if he will always call preflop, call the flop and fold the turn, that's even better.

Between A and B, I take the TAG over the LAG, since "LAG" is actually closer to the correct style in this situation.