Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Standard play, or am I missing something?

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...amp;hand=93603
Should I have raised this turn? Fold the river?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Standard play, or am I missing something?

Let me guess. Villain is a TAG who never bets or raises without the nuts? Or, you just sat down and don't have any history with any of the players. Or, villain could be a loose maniac who likes to bluff scare cards. Or, villain is the type of player who likes to semi bluff str8 draws, but will fold to some river aggression.

Welcome to the micro forum. In the future, if you could supply us with a little information about the other players in the hand, it would be a lot easier to comment on your play.

I don't know what the 1/2 game at Full Tilt is like, but if you thought you were beat, then I guess it was good.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:59 PM

Raise the turn? I don't think so. The turn card appears to beat you.

Standard? Why call the scary turn and not call the non-scary river? I would say either call it all the way down if you think he's bluffing, or fold to the turn bet if you think he's not.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 AM

Villian is mostly a loose/passive and chases his overs. It seems that when he does hit, he bets though. Now should I have folded turn? I ran into a couple situations with these hands and this player. i'd bet with top pair or better and when a scare card comes he usually bets. people in 1/2 don't bluff too often so i give him respect for having the higher card.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the micro forum. In the future, if you could supply us with a little information about the other players in the hand, it would be a lot easier to comment on your play.

I don't know what the 1/2 game at Full Tilt is like, but if you thought you were beat, then I guess it was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it's hard to do this, seeing as i'm playing 3-4 tables of 1/2 at a time.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:28 AM

Preflop/Flop: Perfect.

Turn/River: Yes, the donkbet is startling, but without a fantastic read, my first inclination is to raise the turn and take a free showdown unimproved. On the river, the pot is 7 BB. I think you're good once every eight times this comes up, so you need to call.

Somebody let me know if this is spewing because this situation is fairly common.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard? Why call the scary turn and not call the non-scary river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look again. Hero has a nut flush draw.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn/River: Yes, the donkbet is startling, but without a fantastic read, my first inclination is to raise the turn and take a free showdown unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't raise the turn for a free showdown here because we would need to call a 3-bet. This tactic is usually more useful when you want to charge a villain to draw, but there's a good chance that we'd be charging ourselves here.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Turn/River: Yes, the donkbet is startling, but without a fantastic read, my first inclination is to raise the turn and take a free showdown unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't raise the turn for a free showdown here because we would need to call a 3-bet. This tactic is usually more useful when you want to charge a villain to draw, but there's a good chance that we'd be charging ourselves here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it also helps to have folding equity, which we have none of in this hand.
It's not like he's donkbetting a paired board - it looks to me like he actually has a K.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:41 PM

Villian is mostly a loose/passive and chases his overs. It seems that when he does hit, he bets though. Now should I have folded turn?

No, but then the river fold is fine.

I ran into a couple situations with these hands and this player. i'd bet with top pair or better and when a scare card comes he usually bets.

This contradicts your statement above. If he ususally bets when a scare card comes, that means he's probably bluffing most of the time (or is really lucky to always hit). Then I would call down (raising the turn would only give him the opportunity to give up the hand cheaply).