Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 03:38 AM

Default 10/20 Stars - Bottom Set on Monotone Flop

Game is 5-handed. In UTG+1 Hero ($4200) picks up 77 and makes it $80, the standard PF raise thus far in this game. Next to act goes allin for $138, SB calls, BB calls, and I call the additional $58. BB is the villian in this hand with $3600. My read on him thus far is that he is very active, loose, fairly aggressive, and somewhat overplays his hands. Hero probably has a fairly loose-aggressive image but has not done anything out of the ordinary yet.

Pot is $550.

Flop Jd9d7d. SB checks, and BB bets $500 into dry sidepot. What's your plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: 10/20 Stars - Bottom Set on Monotone Flop

I think most likely holding from BB is a weak made hand + draw. If he has the flush or straight then you still have decent odds anyway. JJ is pretty unlikely here, 99 is only hand that kills you. I push it.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:52 PM

The presence of a third player makes me want to say push all-in.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Two schools of thought:

1. As a wise man once said, bets should be the minimum amount to put a significant amount of pressure on your opponent. That would be raising to $1800 or so

2. Reality - if you do $1800 and he pushes, you have to call given stacks and odds.

Vote = PUSH
Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 PM

is it too weak tight to consider folding bottom set on this board after the preflop action+ relatively deep stack?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:33 AM

what happened?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most likely holding from BB is a weak made hand + draw. If he has the flush or straight then you still have decent odds anyway. JJ is pretty unlikely here, 99 is only hand that kills you. I push it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think SB or BB could be holding JJ??? why not? hero is UTG and makes it 80 (although standard) who wants to ever get stacked with JJ vs a possible AA? see the flop then if a J hits plug and chug those bets.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:41 PM

My read on this situation is that you are currently ahead of the villian. THe hand that he most likely has is Ad Jx.
Other possible hands include QQ, KK, AA all of which might contain a diamond. Given this information I think the best play is to give him incorrect odds if he wants to continue to draw to his flush or potential 2 outer with a higher set.

I think the correct play here is to raise to $1800-2000.

If he pushes I think you still must call. He could very possible have JJ or 99 which you are dead. However, I still think he will push with AA, KK ,QQ, AdJx and then it is correct to call.

In response to another question, yes I think it is weak tight to fold here. There is no justification in my mind to fold. I cannot see the villian betting into that flop with a flush because there is already a person all in.