Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 03:13 AM

Default gharp\'s hand vs. me

The only reason this thread is here is because a lot of 2+2'ers jumped from the casual .5/1 game to a $5 3-table mTT.

The hand we played, I was a 50.1% favorite on the flop. he thought he was a favorite. WHOOPS.

FYI

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t955)</font>
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t970)
CO (t910)
Button (t3235)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1420)</font>
<font color="#C00000">BB (t1640)</font>
UTG (t1025)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t45</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t35, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t132.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font> - Hero bets 65, gharp makes it 200, hero pushes, gharp goes into the tank and calls

Turn: (t132.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t132.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: Large

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB doesn't show.
UTG+1 has As Jh (two pair, aces and jacks).
Hero has Tc 3c (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins a crapload </font>

For those with limited experience with MTT's, this is why AJo sucks in early levels of MTT's and in NLHE in general. He should have laid that down but he saw me bluff out an idiot when a 3-flush hit the river and I showed it. So he called.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Re: gharp\'s hand vs. me

why did you call preflop?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:19 AM

Because you break people with hands like that early on, not TPTK
Old 06-25-2005, 03:20 AM

This isn't why AJo sucks. AJo sucks if you have AK or AQ. In this case, I didn't put you on an A. I don't think you're saying that AK sucks, but how should my play be different here if that's what I'm holding?

I mean, at decision time, the pot is something like 1100 and it's 700 to call. I'm ahead thinking you've got a flush draw (b/c of your psychotic bluff earlier), and I'm pretty sure you don't have an A. You don't call getting those odds?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:21 AM

oh man i love MTT's i shoulda played in this
Old 06-25-2005, 03:22 AM

I am never going to put my money in with the worst hand. That is where your read was wrong [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I could have easily had AK or two better, set or better. But I had pair +flushdraw, which is a 50.1% favorite.

I knew you had a standair high pair or high cards hand with your typical ABC preflop raise, because I have not seen you do anything out of the ordinary. Let's put it this way, on that flop there is no way I'm pushing in with just a draw.

And the bluff earlier was not psychotic, I knew the pot was mine before the river.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you break people with hands like that early on, not TPTK

[/ QUOTE ]

Still not that fond of the call. T3s only flops so many things that you want to get all the money in with. More connectedness, sure. Plus, this would probably be a better call in a huge-field MTT where big stack-or-bust is better. With just 3 tables I don't think you need to take this route.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am never going to put my money in with the worst hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
You did it preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I knew you had a standair high pair or high cards hand with your typical ABC preflop raise, because I have not seen you do anything out of the ordinary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough.

I feel like this is all pretty results-oriented. If the coin flip had gone the other way, I'd be the happy one. But it didn't work this time, so that's life.

Oh, and...

[ QUOTE ]
And the bluff earlier was not psychotic, I knew the pot was mine before the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you could know you'd be able to represent that flush draw before it came in -- here's the hand in question:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

SB (t870)
BB (t985)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t985)
MP1 (t485)
MP2 (t2850)
ClaytonN (t970)
CO (t985)
Button (t870)

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t50</font>, UTG+1 calls t35, MP3 calls t35, Button calls t35, SB calls t35.

Flop: (t247.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t125</font>, UTG+1 folds, ClaytonN calls t125, Button calls t125, SB calls t125.

Turn: (t747.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, ClaytonN checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t150</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP3 calls t150.

River: (t1047.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
ClaytonN goes all-in [t645] , Button folds.

Final Pot: t1047.50

ClaytonN shows 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I do want to say that this was a pretty brilliant play. And the dude busted out on the next hand and was almost certainly tilting. It's a brilliant play every time except the time when he calls and you're out of the tournament, but still -- nice balls, ClaytonN. Nice balls. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You play a different style than I do. And more power to you, it looks like you play it pretty well.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:45 AM

ABC poker is boring. And regarding the preflop call, I am willing to risk 3% of my stack as a dog against your standard high cards/high pair to hit a flop to bust you. This is just early stages strategy.

And the bluff was pretty simple, what do you put villain on? And what will he call with when I've been calling all the way and I hit my gin card with any respectable draw on the river?

This, of course, is made under the strategy of assuming villain is a thinking player, and he was playing tight and legitimately up until that point. If he was the kind who limped and called a lot I would not have made that move.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:10 AM

There are some hands to take the flop with early in the tournament. T3s isnt once of them.

You got a dream flop. Like, top 4% of all flops. You got all of your money in. You were a coinflip. Do you see the problem there?