Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: 6-max Coach

[ QUOTE ]
"poker earn rate."

I'm still waiting to get through one of your posts where your winrate or your cool new monitor isn't mentioned. It's really a shame since your strategy content speaks for itself.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 PM

Yeah I guess you could say it's a working holiday. Been real nice so far. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 10:15 PM

rather than a flat rate i would think that rewarding the coach/mentor with a fraction of the increased winrate over a certain number of hands would be better.

this would put a vested interest in the coach to insure that the player does well over an extended period of time since the coach will be making more.

i am highly skeptical that having a coach look over 500 or so hands will have any significant effect on ones play and results.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rather than a flat rate i would think that rewarding the coach/mentor with a fraction of the increased winrate over a certain number of hands would be better.

this would put a vested interest in the coach to insure that the player does well over an extended period of time since the coach will be making more.

i am highly skeptical that having a coach look over 500 or so hands will have any significant effect on ones play and results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one thinkin this is pretty impossible. When do you pay him after 100K hands after 10K hands after you've run good or bad..? I don't care you can't have a coach and afterwards say now I win 0,25BB/100 more than I did before. It would require a tremendeous ammounts of hands both before coaching and afterwards.

I myself is getting some coaching currently and I have no doubt that having them look at my hands or on AIM while I play works wonders. I will continue to "invest" a large ammount of my winnings at coaches since it definately can't hurt you much and most likely will help you big time.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 PM

100k would be a fair number of hands i would say.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read through Kiddos offer on his site and it seems quite good to me. However if I were to get a coach I would definitely want some live sweating through irc,msn,aim whatever, in addition to indepth analysis of handblocks.
Infact I think Kiddo's offer would be much better if he charged $500 and included 2 hours of live coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx and yep, for some players it definetly would be better to get live-coaching while they play (if that is what u were talking about).

[ QUOTE ]
As to the cost, I did some coaching awhile back and it's very timeconsuming and it can be quite draining. So I really dont think he's overcharging at all assuming he's as good a teacher as I think he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]
One should note that you can have a really good player coaching you, but he won't necessarily be worthwhile to you if he's unable to identify your most pressing leaks (usually misunderstanding concepts or misapplying concepts) and present them to you in a clear and coherent way. Some people play poker alot better than they talk poker, you don't want one of those guys tutoring you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if you for example read Doyle Brunsons book on NL you will see that he talks a lot about "feel". Cloutier talks the same way in his NL&PL book. This is worthless if u want to learn.

Normally the problems starts when we got conflicting concepts like: "I want to see flop cheap with 98s and I want to isolate this bad guy limping", or: "I dont have a hand on this flop so I shouldnt bet but I guess noone else got a hand so I should bet."

What a coach then need to do is break down those concepts and see whats behind, not talking about getting "a feel" for how to play.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for you Josh/Sthief fkr. You should know that kiddo is a [censored] svensk, hence he is beneath my kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you got Fleksnes (a grown up shouting "Deeeoooohh" all the time) and John Teigen (only one that ever got zero points in the yearly European Song Contest), it says it all [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. If we had them in Sweden we would lock them up forver (or send them to Norway). But what do u do in Norway? U make them into TV-stars. Thats brutal.

And when u dont work u use your free time running up on mounting peaks for no reason but to prove you have been there.

A joke we told each other in school:

What do a swede do when a norwigan throw a hand grenade over the border? He pulls the pin and throws it back.

(not sure if "pulls the pin" is correct english: "release the safety catch" is something else, its what u do with a gun?)
Old 11-24-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure if "pulls the pin" is correct english

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. You can't berate Norwegians and then end with something like this. I'm afraid national honour will require me and the other Swedes here to hunt you down and kill you now. Too bad, was kinda planning to take you up on that coaching. Oh well, guess necromancy remains an option.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is. You can't berate Norwegians and then end with something like this. I'm afraid national honour will require me and the other Swedes here to hunt you down and kill you now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it was pretty lame [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

But my grandma is from Lofoten in northern Norway so Im 25% norweigan and my sister is married to a norweigan and lives 200km north Oslo so... Who am I to talk?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:05 AM

I've decided to take some students on this month. You make a video, I write up a report. PM for details.

Krishan