Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: 6-max Coach

What I think would be really useful from a coaching session:

1) Analysis of your PT data. E.g. general trends. This will give pointers for later sessions

2) Video sweat. e.g. email them a 1 hour video of you 4-tabling. This is FAR better than a simple HH file, because they can see everything from your exact perspective. This can then be discussed over AIM etc.

3) Follow up. E.g. some access to the person over AIM for the next few weeks, to check up on whether you are applying certain concepts correctly by sending them the odd simple hand you were unsure about.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's not like coaches are making a killing (kiddo excluded, apparently) since it is below their poker earn rate for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this is 100% true (also for me, Im glad to say).

If anyone is interested in coaching because they think its good pay, well, then I think they make to little playing poker.

How much is coaching worth?

Lets say the coaching will make him win +0.2BB/tablehour at 10/20SH. That is 0.8BB/h if u 4 table. Playing at 10/20 it is $16/hour. We then need less then 20 hours to pay that coaching. If he played 5/10 it would take less then 40 hours.

Not saying these are realistic figures (I got no idea) but I think the focus should be on getting a coach that u really tink will improve your game, not saving dollars when u get one (of course, if u got no idea which is best u should get the cheap one).

I would gladly pay $1000 if someone could make me go +0.2BB/100 at SH 20/40. Problem is that the guys I think could teach me this are making so much playing poker that $1K isnt a lot for them.

Im not saying this because I want to coach more (I have coached a bit to much lately) or to say a coach for $300 is better then a coach for $100. Just saying I agre with TheMetetron, I dont think there are a coach that makes more teaching then playing poker.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are aussie now

[/ QUOTE ]

!!! Where exactly, Nikla?? And will you be at the aussie millions?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am considering doing some coaching on the side. The format will entail me analyzing a video of the player's play, creating a write up of interesting or misplayed hands/situations, then discussing the writeup on AIM and answering any questions. I would like to help a few players as a trial before deciding if I want to do this permanently and make a website, etc. PM me if interested and for pricing details, qualifications, or any other info. For a ballpark I am thinking $100 per hour but I'll do the first few players at 50% discount since hopefully I will be learning as much as they do. The price will be fixed though for video + analysis + discussion and will depend on the length of video. BTW, I'd feel comfortable coaching players at any shorthanded level up to and including 1-1.5bb/100 (suspected) winners at 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this method best I think. I had a internet session chatting thru IM once from a very good coach. I found it quite stressfull though as my multitasking skills are approaching that of a retarded monkey. It was hard to make the plays that I normally would make, take in reads, relay my hole cards, and discuss wtf I was thinking when I raised 2 hands prior.

The session was very valueable and a few of the things I learned made the measely $110/ hour easily worth it.

I think your coaching strategey would be the best with respect to online play.

I'd like to be one of your guinea pigs D, if you already have enough...
Old 11-23-2005, 12:40 PM

Hey. I've been in Sydney the last 2 months. I'll be going back to Norway in mid december so I wont be attending the aussie milliona. You an aussie?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:56 PM

As for you Josh/Sthief fkr. You should know that kiddo is a [censored] svensk, hence he is beneath my kind.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for you Josh/Sthief fkr. You should know that kiddo is a [censored] svensk, hence he is beneath my kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg lol
Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you and Lakerman must have gotten into a fight?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey. I've been in Sydney the last 2 months. I'll be going back to Norway in mid december so I wont be attending the aussie milliona. You an aussie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I live in Melbourne. Did you come out here to live or was it a (working?) holiday or something or other??
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM

"poker earn rate."

I'm still waiting to get through one of your posts where your winrate or your cool new monitor isn't mentioned. It's really a shame since your strategy content speaks for itself.

-Michael