Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Default A couple more $100/200 hands

This time, 4 and 3 handed respectively. My opponent (the same in both hands) seems like the typical good mid/high-limit player so far.

Hand 1:

Villain openraises on the button, small blind folds, I three-bet from the big blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and he calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet and he calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he 4-bets, I call.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I puke a bit and call.

---

Hand 2:

I raise with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button. Small blind calls, and villain calls from the big blind.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB leads out, as he did with the same preflop action on at Q-T-7 twotone flop just one or two orbits ago, I raise, SB folds and BB calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB bets, I call.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB bets, I raise.

lars
Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: A couple more $100/200 hands

These are good posts, i like them because of hand 1 it's nice to know it's not just me who gets themselves in those spots. I don't know the best line in that yet, will reply more later.

Hand 2, i don't think there is much difference in raising the turn or the river, as long as you do both from time to time. You could either have flop-pair, overpair or ace high on the turn and river so he can't get away from any pair without wondering about it or possibly being exploitable later.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:18 PM

Hand 1 is the kind of hand you need to call occasionally but fold the vast majority of the time. I dont think the turn 3-bet is an absolute given either.

Hand 2 is well played. By raising turn, considering that the board just paired you might make him fold an 8 or a 5 which you naturally dont want. By waiting until river chances are he'll be making a "curiousity call" more often with his pair. On the other hand if river is an ace or paint it might freeze him into check-calling, and if he was on a draw and river is real ugly like a blank ace or king he might whiff and check fold.. If its an ugly card for you,it might freeze you up, like the 5h or an 8. You also might lose a bet when river comes down a heart and he check-calls or bet-fold (assuming you raise a heart river). So I guess I agree with gambler that it doesn't really matter if you raise turn or river as long as you do both.

You shouldn't discount the possibility that he has a 3 either. I bet out like this with trips often. Naturally if you get 3-bet on turn you should be much more inclined to call down than if you waited until river and got 3-bet there.
-Nikla
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Ugh. AJ. UGH. I think you need to find a fold somewhere on this turn, preferably to the cap unless you want to project a stubborn/agressive image to the table. I dont like that turn/river line at all. He shows you a bluff hardly ever and shows you the nuts or TPTK a lot.

On the second hand, I like your line a lot. Well played.

Tex
Old 11-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Folding turn is terrible.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 PM

why?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 PM

Hand 1: I don't like the 3-bet, because you have to call the 4-bet with the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Fold on the river.

Hand 2: looks perfect.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Hey ace,

do you think a turn fold to the cap is terrible?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:35 PM

drawing to j-high flush
Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking it looks a whole lot like AxK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] AxQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and so on and so forth. I'm a little on the tight side, so, I suppose if you cant lay the hand down, maybe play it not so agg ???