Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: selling PT databases?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this thread reeks stox, i'm surprised you posted it

[/ QUOTE ]

why does it reek?

I'd be thrilled if this thread produced discussion about high limit stats, database value, and winrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

It reeks because it is just you bragging about a winrate that you seem to believe is actually your earn in these games. And it turned out the initial question was just a setup for some spam and bragging.

Your responses in this thread make me even more sure that you are yet another decent player who has run very hot and has convinced himself that he is actually better than all the other guys who play as well as you do but have not run as hot as you.

I know many LHE and NLHE players who suck, but have run up a wins of a few hundred thousand before giving most of it back. I'm not saying you are in this category, but your responses in this thread seem to point towards a lesser understanding of certain aspects of the game than I thought you had.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:49 PM

I'll take one stox.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: what a joke

[ QUOTE ]
Dont get me wrong Stox is a great guy and I dont personally have anything problem with him posting this. But you delete one of JV's threads, even though he has been posting here before you knew how to spell poker, and leave this which, no offense Stox, is basically just advanced spam. If this post were made by Joe Blow it would have been gone two days ago. Just because you like to talk strategy with a guy, I dont think it should give you a reason to keep a thread like this around when you are deleleting and locking others that are more less harmless.

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread is discussing the value of a database.

JV's thread was a picture of a bum with a smile. do you see Prock's thread locked or moved?

Barron
Old 11-06-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, glad we both agree on that.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dont get me wrong Stox is a great guy and I dont personally have anything problem with him posting this. But you delete one of JV's threads, even though he has been posting here before you knew how to spell poker, and leave this which, no offense Stox, is basically just advanced spam. If this post were made by Joe Blow it would have been gone two days ago. Just because you like to talk strategy with a guy, I dont think it should give you a reason to keep a thread like this around when you are deleleting and locking others that are more less harmless.

[/ QUOTE ]

JV's thread was a picture of a bum with a smile. do you see Prock's thread locked or moved?

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured your first job as moderator would be to keep out spam, advertising etc. Not to get rid of funny harmless threads by guys who have been around here forever. What does Stox's post have to do with high limit holdem? I know you are smart guy which is why you cant possibly convince me that Stox posted that for any other reason than to make an attempt at making money from selling his database. I dont really blame him and he is entitled to post anything he wants, but its supposed to be your job to filter what gets through and what doesnt. Personally, I think its better to only get rid of the really out of place stuff, but when you delete/move all the other non content threads and leave this one I think it reflects poorly on you all things considered.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does Stox's post have to do with high limit holdem? I know you are smart guy which is why you cant possibly convince me that Stox posted that for any other reason than to make an attempt at making money from selling his database.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can Stox expect to make from this whole thing? 4-5 big bets? 10 big bets? Not anything close to making up for the fact his very tough regular opponents could get to see his hole cards for every hand he's played over the last several months. At least this is why I think stox wasn't trying to make money with his post. If I'm wrong and he does end up putting his database out there, I'm sure it in the end it won't end up as money making transaction.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does Stox's post have to do with high limit holdem? I know you are smart guy which is why you cant possibly convince me that Stox posted that for any other reason than to make an attempt at making money from selling his database.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can Stox expect to make from this whole thing? 4-5 big bets? 10 big bets? Not anything close to making up for the fact his very tough regular opponents could get to see his hole cards for every hand he's played over the last several months. At least this is why I think stox wasn't trying to make money with his post. If I'm wrong and he does end up putting his database out there, I'm sure it in the end it won't end up as money making transaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point of this thread was absolutely so that Stox could give an example of how much databases could go for and then offer his at the a similar rate.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 AM

It seems crazy to me that any player that played in tough, high-limit games with a lineup of fairly regular opponents would be interested in selling such telling information about their games. What am I missing here?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:01 AM

He'd be much better off trying to sell a big 15/30-30/60 database, then. I think the market for his high limit database would be pretty limited. Although I'm sure there are probably some out there that actually believe watching how stox plays in shorthanded 300/600 games will somehow help them beat 30/60.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM

El Diablo - I am sorry you feel that way. I am proud of my results this year, but I don't feel I need outside validation on them, or corroboration on my future expectation, I think I can guage those for myself and make intelligent decisions about them.

Contrary to popular belief, I had no ulterior motive when writing this original post, and I wrote the selling post without realizing what a stir it would cause. The whole half-thought out point of this thread at the time it started for me was valueing ways to learn and improve - a difficult thing for people to do at ALL levels.

[ QUOTE ]
your responses in this thread seem to point towards a lesser understanding of certain aspects of the game than I thought you had.

[/ QUOTE ]

you imply that you have a "greater understanding" of certain aspects of the game (limit hold-em). I would really, really like to know what aspects those are and where I am lacking. The more specific the better. I really hope it's not a lecture on variance or sample size.