Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: A really bad play?

I think you should fold this preflop when the SB raises the CO.

On the flop the pot is huge. When you call you need to consider the chance that it'll be raised and capped behind you. You can't like your hand even if you have top pair with a decent kicker. You will most certainly have to improve to take the pot in this kind of action, and if you catch the jack of spades you might still be doomed. But the pot is just too big to fold, and when it gets capped you are sucked in already and have to call.

On the turn you hit a blank. It probably didn't help any others either, so you still have about four outs. I assume MP2 might be on the flush draw as he came live after the flop.

The river you lucked out and it was a nice raise.

Now I was grunching, so don't slaughter me if you all disagree. But don't include results please.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should fold this preflop when the SB raises the CO.

On the flop the pot is huge. When you call you need to consider the chance that it'll be raised and capped behind you. You can't like your hand even if you have top pair with a decent kicker. You will most certainly have to improve to take the pot in this kind of action, and if you catch the jack of spades you might still be doomed. But the pot is just too big to fold, and when it gets capped you are sucked in already and have to call.

On the turn you hit a blank. It probably didn't help any others either, so you still have about four outs. I assume MP2 might be on the flush draw as he came live after the flop.

The river you lucked out and it was a nice raise.

Now I was grunching, so don't slaughter me if you all disagree. But don't include results please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he had to call 4 bets cold he would be right to call I think, with all the people coming along.
There would have been 22BB in there (assuming everyone who bet/raised before on the flop, will stay in) and he had to pay 2, so it is 11-to-1 and a right call.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 AM

Yes, I agree. I almost got to that in my post, but not entirely. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 09:23 AM

preflop is close but fine. when it comes back 2 to you i'd consider folding, but the pot looks like it's going to be huge, so i'd stick around, pretty much every single time.

after that, this pot is so frickin' huge and i'm so frickin' lazy i can't determine off the top of my head if this is solid or not, but i suspect you overplayed it. you have to discount your outs slightly for the spades, and you're certainly drawing, your J outs may be tainted (either immediately, or by presenting redraws), and if someone has a set you're drawing dead. so while you're being laid incredible odds, it's possible you'll hit and still lose, and this becomes a far more severe problem if you hit your T on the turn, invest a lot, and get drawn out on on the river.

all that said, i'm too lazy to actually do the math, and the pot is huge, so it's probably not a huge mistake to keep playing, all things considered.