Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: my homework

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

53/10/1.4 is not "pretty aggressive" it's very loose/passive, and more generally, bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those stats can be very aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, maybe he's very passive pre-flop and very aggressive post-flop. I don't think it's all that likely. Since aggro stat numbers take so much longer to converge and are more ambiguous in general I take them with a grain of salt. I don't ignore them, but I give them less weight in my read.

I'm not going to look at someone with 53/10/1.4 and think "I can count on this guy to bet the turn."

[ QUOTE ]

If he's playing more than half his hands, and just 20% of them for a raise,

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you get that number?

[ QUOTE ]

...It could also mean that he folds a lot rather than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. That's sort of my point.

/mc
Old 10-29-2005, 11:32 PM

interpreting aggression numbers is not my strongsuit
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 PM

There's big disagreements on this aggression number because not only does the number converge incredibly slowly, but it can mean any number of different things and nobody's description is in any way always correct. People say such things as "an 80/10/1 is almost maniacal" or "an 80/10/.75 is superpassive, he's always got the nuts when he bets". You should stop putting such a huge amount of precedence on a number which has little meaning, and spend more attention to their playing habits. An 80/10/1 could just donkbet a lot of turns because he thinks they're on trash overcards. Whoopie.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:51 AM

I'm just saying it's a mistake to see "1 aggr" and immediately assume passive. Just like it's a mistake to see 3 and immediately assume aggro.

The 20% number came from him playing 50% of his hands, and raising 10%. 20% of the hands he plays are for raises.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:27 AM

This thread is a strong example of why you should not post future streets when you have a key decision on the flop. I personally think calling the flop raise and hoping to c/r the turn is fine b/c he's not checking it through very often but the way it looks on paper, going for the c/r on the turn looks awful. It would be interesting if you had posted the hand and your turn c/r had succeeded. How many people would still be advocating for a flop 3 bet if you trap the field for 2 bets on the turn?

Hand 1: I think you played it fine and arguments can be made to go either way. I will usually play it straitfoward and 3 bet the flop but I can definatly see taking your line, and I do prolly 25% of the time

Hand 2: I play it the same but my BB play sux
Old 10-30-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is a strong example of why you should not post future streets when you have a key decision on the flop. I personally think calling the flop raise and hoping to c/r the turn is fine b/c he's not checking it through very often but the way it looks on paper, going for the c/r on the turn looks awful. It would be interesting if you had posted the hand and your turn c/r had succeeded. How many people would still be advocating for a flop 3 bet if you trap the field for 2 bets on the turn?

Hand 1: I think you played it fine and arguments can be made to go either way. I will usually play it straitfoward and 3 bet the flop but I can definatly see taking your line, and I do prolly 25% of the time

Hand 2: I play it the same but my BB play sux

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear somebody else say something about this, because bottom twopair is a horribly vulnerable hand and 3-way I think not 3-betting this is absolutely atrocious. I don't care what happened on the turn.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 AM

Just because a hand is vulnerable doesn't mean it shouldn't be slowplayed. A 3-bet here isn't forcing anybody out of the pot.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because a hand is vulnerable doesn't mean it shouldn't be slowplayed. A 3-bet here isn't forcing anybody out of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I wasn't meaning I wanted to force anybody out. I meant we've got it 3-way and they're not folding, and there are lots of cards out we don't want to see.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are lots of cards out we don't want to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reason to slowplay. If an A comes off you can check and fold quietly.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are lots of cards out we don't want to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reason to slowplay. If an A comes off you can check and fold quietly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression waiting until the turn like that was for supervulnerable hands like bottom twopair on a two-toned 89T board when you've got 89.